Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
blueinc
My Device: Playbook, Torch 9800, Storm 9530, Tour 9630

Adding to an existing App World release

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

We have a published app called Compass 1.1 on App World that has different Bundles for different phone/ operating system combinations. i.e. it works on the Storm 9500, 9530 and 9550 with OS 5.0; another Bundle works on the Storm 9500 and 9530 running OS 4.7. The current Release on App World is also numbered 1.1 .

I want to add Compass 1.1 for new phones, specifically the Curve 8530 and 8900 running OS 5.0. I understand that I need to create a new Release to do this.

My question: I'm assuming that I cannot name the new Release 1.1 (the same as an existing Release) and I will have to name it 1.1.1 or something. I will add the new phones' versions as new Bundles. Do I also add the exact same Bundles that I have in my Release 1.1 or do I leave them out? I'm not upgrading the existing files in any way.

If I need to also replicate the existing Bundles in the new Release 1.1.1, I need to ensure that the existing versions already downloaded and installed to not get wiped out or corrupted somehow by the new Release.

Clear as mud?

Thanks for this,

Brian

[

Edit: I think this should have been posted on the BlackBerry Development /  BlackBerry App World™ Development forum. I'll check over there.  

cheers....B

]

PlayBook Apps: Sudoku Pro
Smartphone Apps: Compass | MultiClock
Please use plain text.
Developer
sreid55
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Adding to an existing App World release

You're correct on all counts based on my experience - you need to create a new release with a new version number, and include all bundles in the new release.  Existing customers will see an upgrade available and will be prompted to install it.  I'm not sure how you would avoid that -

I have never tried creating a new release with just bundles for devices not supported by a previous release.  That may be covered somewhere in the app world developer documentation.

The good news is that new releases usually get approved pretty quickly.  Always within one business day in my experience.  The bad news is that you get dinged $20 from your $200 initial fee with each release.

Sorry I don't have a more definite answer.  

SR

Please use plain text.