Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Q10, Z10

Again: App Upgrade Problems

We have released a new major version 3.0 of one of our app a few days ago.We have configured an update price ($2.99) and a minimum version to upgrade (2.0)

Unfortunately customers who have bought version 2.0 are not able to upgrade via AppWorld.

Not a single customer has been able to upgrade yet!

Here is an example of what customer experience:

I purchased your app in version 2.x a while back. Today an upgrade to version 3.x became available so I tried to purchase it. There was an error during the purchase and the upgrade failed with a popup saying to contact appworld support.

After restarting appworld, the myworld section says i have v3 installed but shows my old license code for v2.

I contacted appworld support (who linked me here for some reason).

So, appworld thinks I have v3 installed. I uninstalled, batt pull, back to appword redownload v3, but it downloads and installs v2.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled appworld and it still insists that I have v3 (but will only download v2). 

Seems that my account needs to be reset and reverted back to v2 so that I can try the upgrade again but I can't seem to get RIM to do this.

Another customer:

OK, I started AppWorld, logged in to My World and it said that the app was "unistalled" for some reason even though 2.x has been working fine for me. It had the option to "reinstall" so I did that. It now shows up in my applications as 3.0 but it is still the same 2.x version I had been using. It also never asked for $2.99 anywhere. If I go back into My World it still has the button to reinstall instead of upgrade. I hope this all makes sense to you.

Any ideas?? Anyone knows how to solve this preferably without the help of AppWorld support as they as always are not responding to any inquiries?

Thanks a lot for any advice!

Developer
My Device: Z10

Re: Again: App Upgrade Problems

LOL.  I just did an upgrade too yestoday and havent received any support email yet.

Will have to check to see if any users have actually purchased the upgrade.

I posted an separate msg asking how the updates work.  maybe you can answer me.

if i want all versions to be paid upgrade do i put in v2 as the min version or v1 when i release v3?

thx

Developer

We assumed it would be working the same way it does at Mobihand, so if you want to allow upgrades from v1 and v2 at the upgrade price, enter v1 or leave it empty. If you do not want v1 to be able to upgrade at all (repurchase at full price?), enter v2.

This is all speculation though. No documentation by RIM and asking probably gives no response.

Maybe the problems we have are due to not leaving the min version field empty, who knows :smileywink:

AppWorld is a major PITA. Shouldn't be so difficult for a large company like RIM to get it right after 1 year...

Developer

thanks for the clarification.

wouldnt you know it.  I just received a support email from one my customer and he is having the same issue as you are.   Error trying to upgrade and he was took to contact application support.

what is going on RIM? this isnt good.

Developer

Welcome to the club.

Do you see any sales at the upgrade price in your AppWorld sales reports at all?

Developer

NADA!!! No sales price for the upgrades.  If the customer cant even complete the first stage how can there be any sales? LOL

I sent an email to rim support.  Not sure when they have time to reply. HEHE

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

pfluger wrote:

AppWorld is a major PITA. Shouldn't be so difficult for a large company like RIM to get it right after 1 year...

QFT

Developer

We finally see the first upgrades coming in!

Developer
My Device: 9800, 9630

Yes, there is definitely a lag time between things being approved and them appearing on customer's phones. We have experienced people recieving upgrade emails (for free upgrades) then they go try to download and get the original version. It seems that the version number on App World can update before the actual files are available on someone's carrier.

When we added our free trial, we also could see the "+ Free Trial" flag in the app list, but when you clicked on it, there was no "Download Trial" button.

We've done this twice so far and the same thing happened both times. Everything seems to work itself out after 4 or 5 days so just have to be patient I guess.

Developer

Seems to be working.

"We've done this twice so far and the same thing happened both times. Everything seems to work itself out after 4 or 5 days so just have to be patient I guess."

You tell that to the customers. :smileyvery-happy: