Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
sblantipodi
My Device: Not Specified

Re: An extra 10% commission at App World for nothing?

can you explain me better what Blackberry ID means?
why it will be used? what will change for us and what for customers?

thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
JCarty
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9650/BlackBerry Torch 9800

Here is a link to a blog post by RIM:

http://blogs.blackberry.com/2010/06/inside-blackberry-app-world-2-0-app-preview/

Jerome Carty - Follow jcarty on Twitter@jcarty | #webworks-dev / #BlackberryDev on irc.freenode.net | My Apps
Click "Accept as Solution" if post solved your original issue.. Give like/thumbs up if you feel post is helpful
Please use plain text.
Developer
sblantipodi

Really thanks for your answer JCarty.

I haven't understood well the improvements that this Blackberry ID should bring to customers.

On the blog they say:

"We’re also proud to introduce the new BlackBerry® ID, a device-independent user identification. With your BlackBerry® ID, you can easily download and purchase apps, then manage them in My World. Also, if you ever need to switch to a new BlackBerry smartphone, logging in with your BlackBerry ID will bring all your apps to your new BlackBerry smartphone so you can always have the apps you need, when you need them!"

Am I wrong or this is possible also right now by entering the normal username and password for MyWorld? What's the difference?
Most important for us. Do you know if this Blackberry ID will change the way we actually do Dynamic Licensing?

Actually we do dynamic licensing using the Blackberry PIN, will we need to use Blackberry ID instead of Blackberry PIN in the future?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
sblantipodi

trying to get an answer by bumping my previous question.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
sprintagal
My Device: 9630
My Carrier: Me

Im posting a link for you below that has a good article by cnet asia that includes some screenshots of App World 2.0. I have not seen any definitive statement by someone speaking on behalf of BlackBerry in regards to how dynamic licensing will be handled. If you could log into the same BlackBerry account on multiple devices, it would seem to defeat the purpose of dynamic licensing if the BlackBerry ID were to be used. I hate to speculate though, ive been wrong before.

http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2010/06/23/blackberry-app-world-2-0-highlights/

Please use plain text.
Developer
sblantipodi

thanks for your reply,

I can't belive that they will change dynamic licensing procedure without telling us nothing before this will be truth.

I have sent an email to the app world vendor support, hope to know something more on this topic.

I'll keep you posted via this thread.

Please use plain text.
Developer
cwong15

In RIM's favor, I suspect carrier billing is a big part of this change. Have you checked what carriers traditionally take as their cut of the sale? Check out BOKU, which offers payment processing services via carrier billing. According to their FAQ, carriers take 25-45% of the sale price as their cut. Now if carriers take their cut and RIM takes even a tiny cut ... there is no way you can get your 70% back. I suspect RIM decided to take a 30% cut across the board as a way to even out the overhead of all the payment methods in use. I doubt that RIM expects to make much money out of App World sales.

Please use plain text.
Developer
sblantipodi

I must admit that the revenue share continue to be good but I`m really impatient to see how this changes will affect our selling.
Please use plain text.
Developer
silver20
My Device: Paper cup

Bump...

Since BlackBerry is struggling and falling ever more behind in apps, maybe RIM will consider putting our revenue share back to 80% which is how they drew people to App World the first year.

That would be a factor in a decision to continue developing for BlackBerry or not.  Maybe the benefit to the platform is worth more than the 10% they'll lose in app revenue.  We sure need it, with the dwindling market share.

Even a compromise of 75% would give BB some edge back.

Please use plain text.