Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
statsninja
My Device: Not Specified

Re: An extra 10% commission at App World for nothing?

I'm being presumptive, I dont know for a fact that there will be fees for carrier billing but the generic fees they charge are avilable at http://bango.com/mobilebilling/payment_network.aspx

**** This is just general information and im not asserting in any way that this is what it will be, but the rates listed are what I typically get when dealing with carriers or through third partys so I assume it will be similiar. ( in some cases better than what I get).... RIM may have the ability to get better because of their volume but i know nothing of what will actually come to be. ****

Mobile Enhancement Studios
Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10

anyone know if the Carrier billing is optional and can we opt out?

Developer
jxjanosi
My Device: Bold 9700

Hey everyone!

Thought I'd lend my 2 cents...

I'm pretty sure that most everyone (developers) here sell their apps through other portals (mobihand, handango, etc).  Do you know where the split goes?  The split is 60/40.  That's 60% to the developer, 20% to mobihand and 20% to the site that is displaying our apps.  When a customer purchases through mobihand, it is an 80/20 split with that 20% going to mobihand.  Same goes for app world.  Currently they have it at 80/20.  80% going to the developer, 10% going to Blackberry and 10% going to digital river.

With the new agreement (70/30).  That additional 10% is going to bango.  That is why our cut is will be 70%.  As far as I can tell, there will be no additional fees on the developers part for this opportunity to sell to the masses.  I look at the cup half full.  This is more opportunity for ALL developers to make more money and that 10% is a small percentage of the income you will receive. 

App world hopes to have the new billing in place by april 26th and the agreement will be available for viewing in your account.  Developer split is scheduled to change to 70% on the day of May 17th.

Hope this is good news to most.

With all smiles, I am...
Developer
jonberry

This is a bad move, IMO.

App World is going to lose a competitive advantage to iTunes because of this change.

I say forget about carrier billing through Bango and just do paypal and credit cards at 80%.

Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10

so what you are saying is regardless how the purchase is made eg: payplay, credit card or direct billing developers still get 70% correct?

i thought developers get a smaller cut if purchased with direct billing.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

jonberry wrote:

This is a bad move, IMO.

App World is going to lose a competitive advantage to iTunes because of this change.

Jonberry, how will a BlackBerry developer lose a competitive advanced to iTunes, when there are ~30 million something BlackBerry users out there in your market? Those ~30 million won't be looking to iTunes for app purchases.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer
jonberry

App World will lose a competitive advantage in gaining developers and new apps.

It's one less reason for new developers to choose BlackBerry over iPhone.

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

jonberry, doesn't Apple take a 30/70 cut as well? I believe they do.

Why would someone ignore this large segment of the market, and go to Apple for the same percentage?

I understand that the overall Apple App Store sales is greater, but still.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer
macdan

Can anyone provide a source for the dates:  april 26th and May 17th?

I've read the agreements sent by RIM, but I can't find any mention of those dates or any other dates.

Developer
jonberry

JSanders wrote:

jonberry, doesn't Apple take a 30/70 cut as well? I believe they do.

Why would someone ignore this large segment of the market, and go to Apple for the same percentage?

I understand that the overall Apple App Store sales is greater, but still.

Easy.  If you have limited time and you're going to sell more on iPhone at the same % with more customers buying apps, which would you choose?

Also, you don't have nearly the same fragmentation problem on iPhone.  On BlackBerry you've got a dozen different devices with different OS versions and screen sizes which hamper unified development.