Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Developer
jpillera
My Device: Not Specified

Re: How often is sales data updated?

Sir,

You're so helpful, one other question if I could.

I'm dead in the water.  Web site hits are in the tank.  No sales, no downloads - no anything.  Something real bad is wrong. 

Tell me something:  after I was approved to sell on the App World site, I went into the "Distribution Restrictions" tab of my portal and did two things:

1.) Carrier Restrictions: Added every carrier in the US (about 90+ of them)

2.) Country Restrictions: I think the United States was in there - but I removed and re-added it.

So this is very simple stuff:  I just want to sell to the USA.  Did I hose myself somehow?  I know if you change those COD files that can count against you.  But what about other changes like the above?  Did I perhaps "reset" some kind of "provisioning clock" on myself?

THANK YOU so much.  I've been very frustrated with BB's vendor support but am biting my tongue - lest this post never make it to the board for you to see ;-)

Joe

Developer
RLord321
My Device: 8700 | 8310 | BOLD | STORM

No problem.

Does your app really need restrictions?  Do you not like one carrier or country :smileyhappy: ?  The more carriers and countries, the more sales.  I would try leaving the Carrier Restrictions and Country restrictions to no restriction.

Changing the restrictions does not put your application back in the review status since it is already approved.

One more thing..Can you see your application on your blackberry?  What about your friends and family's blackberries?

New Developer
jpillera

Sir,

Why the restrictions?    ;-)

Check it out...hopefully I can post it here:   cryptoforall.com

I have permissions in writing like you wouldn't believe.  Honestly, that part was more intense than the coding!  Even so, I'm being extremely careful and "erring" on the side of caution.  I routinely get hits out of Washington, DC on my web site.  I'm sure that's not from a grass-cutting agency LOL.

Can I see it on my wife's BlackBerry?  Now that is a great question!  I use a competitor phone or I'd check right now.  As for friends, I'm getting conflicting reports.  Frankly, I think they're confusing "I can see it on the web" with "I can see it on the phone" - see what I mean?

Best regards,

Joe

Developer
RLord321
My Device: 8700 | 8310 | BOLD | STORM

Yeah, I know what you mean..I had family say they downloaded AppWorld but couldn't see my app but that's because they downloaded Handango's or Mobihand's blackberry client instead.  It also took my mom, of all people, 3 months to support my application because she didn't trust AppWorld..

I saw on the App approval process that if you use the crypto API's that you can't distributed out of the country so I see why you need the restrictions now.  I think the only way is to round up some blackberries and just have them search for your App -- go to the mall and make the verizon or AT&T guys navigate with their blackberries.  I did that when I first put apps out there and even got some sales in the process.

New Developer
jpillera

My friend, it gets more intense than that.  Let's pretend you could guarantee only someone standing on US soil bought your BB crypto app.  Well, you'd think "that wasn't exported - so I don't need special permissions."

WRONG.

According to the Export Administration Regulations (Part 748 I think) a "deemed export" takes place if you sell your app on US soil - but that gent with the phone is from another country.  Oops.  You just exported.  So you better get permission - and a whole lot of it - and in writing too.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Joe