Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Contributor
error454
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: ATT

App Denied for Vague and Unactionable Reasons

I had an app denied into App World and was given the following reasons:

* Starts in the wrong orientation (no problem I can fix that)

* inner functionality issues

Strongly resisting the urge to swear violently, what is the correct process to get more details on the 2nd issue?  I can't seem to find any way to follow-up with the app reviewer in the app world developer portal.

Please use plain text.
Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: App Denied for Vague and Unactionable Reasons

I have never gotten that issue before.  I'm clueless too on " inner functionality issues" what it means.

could it be that your app behaves badly on the device?

Please use plain text.
Developer
falo
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: 3

Can you elaborate on the "starts in wrong orientation" part? Reading the UI guidelines there's no fixed mandate on landscape vs portrait (or even that one has to support both).
-------
You can find me (sporadically) writing and developing at http://floor4.co.uk and gaming at http://uk-tf.co.uk
My Apps: Flip!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
error454

My app runs in openGL, I force it to portrait orientation by default but allow the user to toggle between portrait/landscape or auto-rotate in the options menu.

The App World portal has no way for me to contact the reviewer to ask for more details, I just don't see what they're expecting me to do here.  

I work as a software engineer, if a QA person filed a bug where the only description was "inner functionality issues", the bug would be closed as invalid.

Does Blackberry read these forums?

How helpful would it be if I were to make the statement:

The Blackberry App Review process sucks.

I would wager that this statement wouldn't help anyone since it doesn't provide details of the problems I'm having.  However the statement:

The Blackberry App Review process sucks BECAUSE

1. The developer isn't provided with detailed information on how the app is failing
  2. The developer isn't provided with a means to contact the reviewer for further details

I'd say this statement is helpful and also true.  Blackberry, please use the Amazon, Apple or HP marketplaces for a better idea of how this process should work.

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Have you tested your app on simulator?

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
error454

My app runs in openGL using libraries compiled for ARM that I do not have source to.  For this reason I could not run it in the x86 based simulator to test it.

After testing this on an actual device, I can only surmise that the "internal app issues" meant that the virtual keyboard wasn't popping up when text boxes were selected.  And that the incorrect orientation was due to a splash screen image that I display that is locked to landscape.

My point in posting here wasn't to solicit the help of other deveopers to solve my problem, it was to try and contact Blackberry developer relations to get a better understanding of their vague and unhelpful problem statement.  

Haven't such a disconnected and non-existant developer relations team really doesn't make me excited about Blackberry or App World at all.  Where are the developer evangelists that should be lurking in the corners?  webOS may not have been a successful platform but their developer relations team were active in the forums and responded to questions in < 1 hour during business hours.

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately this forum is meant to be peer-to-peer, i.e. developers helping developers, so you will rarely see RIM staff commenting on issues. 

You can use the vendor support form to get some help and/or answers:

https://www.blackberry.com/profile/?eventId=8109

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

@QuiteSimple: You link goes to "BlackBerry Developer Conference". Is that what you wanted to post?
Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple

Oh, f...

Sorry, corrected it. Thanks, nice catch :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Does anyone know how long it "normally" takes for someone at RIM to respond to a posting to that form? I have a similar and vague denied submission that I submitted yesterday.
Please use plain text.