Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
Enaud
My Device: z10
My Carrier: rogers
Accepted Solution

App Doesn't Load for Some Users

Hi Everyone,

As my first app I thought I'd make something fairly simple, you know, to test the waters. It's a comic book reader, basically an image viewer with unarchiving capabilities.

I tested it successfully on the simulator, my z10 and four of my coworker's z10s with various storage configurations (no sd card, 2GB, 4GB, etc...), I never once saw a loading problem.

I figured it was good to go. It passed approval so I'm assuming the app inspectors ran it successfully as well.

The problem is of the four reviews I have so far three report the app won't even run. (And leave pretty nasty reviews)

Forum, the question I pose to you is, have any one else had similar experiences? How would some of you go about debugging this problem? How much stock should I put into overly negative reviews?

I'm not sure if this goes against forum etiquette, but if any of you care to try the app it's called Bam! Comic Reader (and its free). I'd love to hear from anyone who can't run it and get the OS version and storage configuration.

Cheers,

E.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: App Doesn't Load for Some Users

There is a known issue that some apps on some devices will stop working.

The app might be crashing if it makes it past the splash screen.

In your app, yes, those a bad reviews.

I ran your app:

1) Prompt for permissions

2) Get screen complaining about the SDCard not being found (I dont have one).

"No CBR, CBZ, or other Comic acrchies were found while canning internal and SD card storage"  Big null graphics and then "Once you have copied comic archive friles to your internal or SD Card storage use the pull down meny (spelling error) to update your library"

3) Your app menu, first button lable is truncated.

4) Once you go into help, you cannot get out.

From this, I would probably give you a bad review too.

• Not having comic book files messages are a little harsh and not helpful to the user
  • Nothing tells me where to get these files
  • I expected if I dont have any, that a list would be displayed of ones that I can download/purchase.
  • Need to back out the help page
  • Different icons in the app bar might help.  Using all gears is not good, espcially once the Q10 comes out and you might not have the labels to help describe the buttons.
  • Help guide the user to a successful experience.  Right now, the user hits a wall and does not know what to do.

I like the app icon.:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
Enaud
My Device: z10
My Carrier: rogers

I sincerely appreciate your feedback, and will implement your recommentations right away.

Users are reporting just seeing the black blackberry spash screen, what would this indicate? Could this be an application crash?

E.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Most likely.
Please use plain text.