Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Developer
bbd01
My Device: Not Specified

App World in other countries

Hi,

I have developed an application on the BlackBerry simulator, and now am considering purchasing a Curve 8900 to try it out on (currently I have no devices). I would just buy one of these outright - not on a plan, and use it with either a prepaid card or most likely just over Wi-Fi.

My intention is to release this on App World, but I see that App World isn't actually available ni my country (Germany).  Does that mean there will be no way for me to download the App World app here?  Is there some kind of propriatary system in place that stops me using these apps without a service plan?

Developer
Nelvin

Re: App World in other countries

Hi,

I'm from Germany too. You're right, at the moment you can't use/test AppWorld here. But additionally, AFAIK you need a BB service plan to use AppWorld too, so even if Rim released the AppWorld in Germany you may still not be able to use/test it with your prepaid sim card.

Nevertheless you can (and should) test your app on real devices using the desktop manager to install or install it by downloading from a website on your BB. 

Michael

New Developer
bbd01

That's pretty poor to be honest, especially considering the fact you need a service plan to use some features of the device.  I have no interest in signing a 2 year contract just for this.

Maybe I should post this in another forum, but what do you reckon about the idea of releasing software without ever testing on a real device?  The simulators look pretty advanced, much more so than that of the iPhone for example.  But I can tell you, in the iPhone world, you'd never release anything without testing it on a real device first - there are plenty of things that work in the simulator but not on the device itself.

Can I expect crashes on the device due to low memory that wouldn't happen on the simulator?  Or does the simulator run a lot faster than on the device?

Developer
Nelvin

I'd never release software on any platform without testing on the real hardware.

I've released on Brew, JavaME, iPhone, BlackBerry and I always used real hardware to test on. Given that I probably own ~100 JavaME devices, BlackBerry IMO is a quite easy and cheap platform. You can probably get away with 3 devices (a Bold or new Curve, a Storm and maybe a pearl).

You initially asked whether you can use AppWorld which you can't but AppWorld is primarily just a tool to buy/download your apps. But testing your app on the real hardware is WAY more important than just testing the way you download/install it.

In the end MHO is if you're developing as some kind of business, i.e. you're selling your apps, there's no excuse for not doing proper QA as it's easily possible outside of the AppWorld and with only small investments.

Developer
Developer
bba

I have downloaded AppWorld here in Germany but I cannot download apps inside AppWorld. It is still blocked.