Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Contributor
Jaldhar
My Device: Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: AT&T

App accepted and then rejected again WTF?

[ Edited ]

During Built For Blackberry vetting, I was told that my game Robotz did not look right on a Z30.

On November 22 I submitted release 1.5.4.5 of for release approval in which the sole change was UI rearrangement for Z30.  Ticket 1232662 was created.  On November 24, the ticket was closed with this message:

> Research In Motion is pleased to inform you that release '1.5.4.5' of your product 'Robotz' has been approved.

And indeed I saw this release in Blackberry World.  Then to my surprise on November 27, I got an email from tester Delyvia Olii saying:

> Dear BlackBerry World Vendor, While processing your application, release
> '1.5.4.5' from your product 'Robotz' (ticket 1232662), for inclusion into
> BlackBerry World I encountered the following issue(s) that require your
> attention before we are able to continue. Please fix the following
> issue(s)
> and resubmit your application as a new release. I am testing your app on
> the BlackBerry Q10, Q5, Z30 & Z10. When I select "play" option, the
> application closes suddenly by itself. Please fix the issue.

It seems that 1.5.4.5 has been pulled from Blackberry World and replaced with 1.5.4.4.

1.  Why did Delyvia check this release again when it had already been approved?

2.  I have a Z10 running 10.1 and a Dev Alpha C upgraded to 10.2 and I'm not able to reproduce this issue.  Obviously the original tester did not have it either or it would not have been approved.  Is it possible the problem is at Delyvias end?  Do testers run the same hardware as we developers have been given?  If not how are we supposed to test?  I do  not have a Z30 at all and for me atleast the simulator doesn't work.  (See this thread.)

3. The responses from testers leave a lot to be desired.  "the application closes suddenly by itself" is not nearly enough to go on.  Shouldn't a proper report include crash dumps etc.?  It should be easy to provide atleast some information from e.g. the QNX system view in Momentics.  Otherwise we developers end up just shooting in the dark.  As I wrote above, I think this issue is spurious but I have no way of proving it one way or another.

Blackberry, I'd like some answers please!

Please use plain text.
Developer
pyth
My Device: My Trusty Red Plane
My Carrier: Outer Space

Re: App accepted and then rejected again WTF?

//off topic: did you copy paste your question twice? //end

1) there may be several testers, and one approved it, the other (Delyvia) did a crosscheck

2) Us developers have different software. Let me guess: your dev c is at 10.2.0.1xxx (last digit larger than 1500). The official ones are not there yet. last time I checked, on Q5/Q10 it was 10.2.0.424 (about two weeks ago). Unfortunately for us but good for the users, the testers run the same software version as the users do. I also had the problem that my app did not run on the official OS version, but on my devices with 10.1.x and my dev c everything was perfect. What I did were several things: 1) asked a tester where my app did not work to tell me his device and OS version 2) upgraded my (same) device to that version (and it really did not work) 3) asked several other testers to test my app

3) yes, unfortunately it's always like this

User: App does not work.

You: what exactly does not work?

User: The App.

you get used to it though. Consider yourself lucky that delivia said 'Play Button' -> which means the app started and the main screen was visible.

so try to get delivia to tell you the OSversion (most likely the official one) or ask in the Native Forum for testers so they sideload your app (and create some algorithm so that it doesn't work anymore after 10 restarts or something if you are paranoid ;D ). maybe they can help you

and btw: we developers: for each bug report, we are >always< shooting in the dark :smileywink:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm a bird from outer space. But I'm not flappy o.o
Please use plain text.
Contributor
Jaldhar

> pyth wrote:

> //off topic: did you copy paste your question twice? //end

oops looks like I did.  Fixed now.

> 1) there may be several testers, and one approved it, the other (Delyvia) did a crosscheck

That makes sense but its madness.  Let the approval process take longer if time is needed to crosscheck but once an app is in it should be in.

> 2) Us developers have different software. Let me guess: your dev c is at 10.2.0.1xxx (last digit larger than

> 1500). The official ones are not there yet. last time I checked, on Q5/Q10 it was 10.2.0.424 (about two weeks

> ago). Unfortunately for us but good for the users, the testers run the same software version as the users do. I

> also had the problem that my app did not run on the official OS version, but on my devices with 10.1.x and my > dev c everything was perfect. What I did were several things: 1) asked a tester where my app did not work to

> tell me his device and OS version 2) upgraded my (same) device to that version (and it really did not work) 3) > asked several other testers to test my app

Ahh this explains a lot.  Though the tester also said it failed on the Z10 which I purposely have kept to the publically available release.  I will downgrade my Dev Alpha C (hope its possible.)

And I wonder if you use the gold versions of the SDK shouldn't you be in tune with whats on devices in the wild?  (otherwise what does gold even mean?)  I can't think of what I could be doing that could be that sensitive to API fluctuations.

In any case I am still annoyed at Blackberry because they should be providing this kind of OS/Device information as part of the test results.

> 3) yes, unfortunately it's always like this

> User: App does not work.

> You: what exactly does not work?

> User: The App.

> you get used to it though. Consider yourself lucky that delivia said 'Play Button' -> which means the app

> started and the main screen was visible.

Yes *sigh* I've been there before but I would expect a little more from "professional" testers.

> so try to get delivia to tell you the OSversion (most likely the official one) or ask in the Native Forum for testers > so they sideload your app (and create some algorithm so that it doesn't work anymore after 10 restarts or

> something if you are paranoid ;D ). maybe they can help you

I did ask around if anyone could test on a Z30 but got no takers.  It looks like everyone has a free phone from the portathons. :smileyhappy:

> and btw: we developers: for each bug report, we are >always< shooting in the dark :smileywink:

Heh. Truth!  But please Blackberry light a couple of candles for us will you?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Jaldhar

Well its been almost a week and no response from Blackberry.  As well as here, I have contacted

BlackBerryAppWorldRequests@rim.com

blackberryappworldnotifications@rim.com

bfbtestingteam@blackberry.com

and the ticket for that release.

Silence.

So I can only conclude that Blackberry is not interested in my app and I should concentrate my development efforts elsewhere.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
rhearty
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: RIM

[ Edited ]

Hi Jaldhar,

This was on me - I had this flagged as a forum post to follow-up on and it got lost in the shuffle. 

I've taken a look at the 1.5.4.5 Release and approved it as it works on 10.2.0 devices.  I was able to reproduce the issue found by the second tester - however this was only on a 10.2.1 build. 

Something to consider would be testing on 10.2.1 when you get the chance to ensure there are no problems when that OS version rolls out. 

http://developer.blackberry.com/blackberry10devalpha/devalpha_update.html

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Jaldhar

Thankyou for your reply.  I am pleased and relieved to see that the latest version of Robotz is back in Blackberry World.

However some of the issues I raised still appear unclear to me.

1.  As developers are we safe doing our own testing using the gold SDK?  (10.2 according to this page.)

2. If a newer SDK should be used where will this be announced?  I read the dev blog and twitter feed daily and these forums regularly and I don't recall seeing any such advice.  If 10.2.1. is needed to pass testing, the fact should be advertised everywhere in 72 point blinking neon characters I should think.

3.  Exactly what procedure do testers follow before approving an app? Pyth above suggested how it might work but can I get some official confirmation?  Because it all seems rather kafkaesque to me and such an apparently erratic process will pla havoc with planning.

4.  I'm still not exactly sure if my app works/looks right on a Z30.   Due mainly to Z30 related issues I got 3 strikes for B4BB vetting.  I'd like to appeal but before that I want to do an actual test for myself.  Would it be possible to borrow one even for just a few hours?  (I'm sure you have a local office in NYC I could visit.)

Please use plain text.
rhearty

Hi Jaldhar,

Answers as follows:

1. Yes, you should be testing your applications with the newest SDKs available.  Reason being when a new version of the OS is released into the public, your application will be seen/downloaded/used by customers on those versions - we need to make sure applications work.

2. I'm looking into why your application was tested using 10.2.1.  This shouldn't be the case for standard vetting at this point as 10.2.1 is not in-market.  The testing team does being using the next iteration of a device OS for regular vetting, but generally much closer to official launch.

3. I cannot share the details as to how each tester picks-up and appliction and walks through test cases; but as the team is not small it's quite possible one tester will see things another did not, or vice versa.  In this case I'm looking into why the Release was suddenly re-tested by a different tester and removed.  This isn't part of the regular process and it's possible the Release was flagged for re-testing - again, I'm looking to confirm what happened here.

4. I will verify the application on a production Z30 device/OS and get back to you.  Unfortunately I am not in a position to offer up a device for temporary borrowing via a different office.

Ryan

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
arunprakashpj
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Airtel

My App was earlier approved and rejected after a day !
Now after sequencial of submission, finally they have rejected with the new error that, settings menu is not found . But I have tested it in my emulator as well as device !! Settings menu is clearly getting displayed at the right bottom corner !!

Earlier App approval error !! Now some different issue !!! Simply getting frustrated !!

Please fix it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
rhearty

Hello arunprakashpj,

Without any detailed information I won't be able to help.  I'll need at the very least your Vendor/Company name in BlackBerry World along with the App Name.  AppId would be the preferable identifier however. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
arunprakashpj
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Airtel

[ Edited ]

App Name : 'TrackTimer'' (ticket 1249031)
Release : 5.1
Vendor ID: {REMOVED}
Running well in my BB 10 Emulator !
Please help me sir..

Mod Edit: Removed personal information to comply with Community Guidelines and Terms and Conditions of Use. Please use the PM feature to give personal information (Click on this link to pm rhearty)

Please use plain text.