Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Contributor
rg_bb
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone
Accepted Solution

App approval cripplingly slow

I posted apps for approval on BB World (targetting 4 devices on BB OS 6 & 7, some apps are new, some are updates to existing apps) which have not been reviewed by Blackberry. These apps have been submitted for review between the 6th - 13th March. I have tried waiting, contacting Vendor Support (no response), and now I am posting here as a last resort.

Given some reports that approval can take 10 business days, I should have started seeing approval decisions come in on the 20th March, it is now 25th March and nothing has changed. We make apps under contract and don't get paid for the work we do until the apps appear on the various App Stores.

I hope someone employed at Blackberry can explain when my apps will be reviewed by Blackberry World. I need something to tell my customers and finance department!

Please use plain text.
Developer
ndsmyter
My Device: Limited Edition Z10, Playbook 16GB/32GB, Dev Alpha A/B/C
My Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Re: App approval cripplingly slow

The reason why your apps are not yet approved/denied is because there is a rather large backlog of apps that have to be reviewed. This is mostly because of the Port-A-Thons, where a lot of apps were created that all have to pass through the submission process.

There are people which are waiting more than a month now, but I do have the feeling that waiting times are getting shorter. You will have to have some patience I am afraid.

Sometimes you can speed up the process by tweeting to BlackBerryDev, but this doesn't always help. There also some people from BlackBerry on this forum who can help, so contacting them is an option worth considering: 

Hopefully your apps are approved soon :-)

A like is always appreciated,
but a nomination for BB Elite even more :-)
You can also contact me on Twitter: @ndsmyter
Please use plain text.
Contributor
TechMark2K
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: none

I don't understand BlackBerry, they want us to write apps then they make us wait weeks or months before reviewing  them. The port-a-thon backlog excuse, is well... just an excuse. We demand good planning and resource management to reduce the waiting time to decent. There should be somebody at BlackBerry management to care about this because it's bad for developers but also it's bad for BlackBerry, obviously. BlackBerry..., it's time to fix the waiting times, seriously.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
nedelman
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: ATT

Yes, it really is just a convenient excuse they're using at the moment. 

The approval times are a joke and and, as I'm now learning, is a problem that's been well known for years. For example: http://www.berryreview.com/2011/02/23/an-explanation-from-rim-on-why-app-world-updates-are-slow/. The fact that they've done nothing in that time is a pretty clear indicator that they either don't care or are just incapable of solving what seems to be a pretty fundamental problem. 

I have an app that's been sitting in limbo for over 3 weeks now. I'm VERY close to just cancelling it completely. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rg_bb

Thanks for the constructive suggestions about ways in which I can possibly get some response from BlackBerry.

The back-log excuse doesn't cut it with me. Like any retailer operating in the run up to Christmas, BlackBerry should anticipate demand and put measures in place to meet it. What worries me is that with BlackBerry 10 being the great white hope, might BlackBerry be prioritising apps aimed at BB10 at the expense of everyone else?

Would love to hear some response from BB about my original post.

Please use plain text.
Developer
bobdodd
My Device: BB10 Dev Alpha B
My Carrier: -

What would help everyone would be for BlackBerry to better explain the testing process. 

Clearly the order of testing is not first-in, first-out; I have one app approved and one stuck in the test queue, the one approved was submitted days after the one still in the queue.

So: how are apps being allocated for testing?

Please use plain text.
Developer
mikefromcanada
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

This would be really handy. It would probably alleviate a lot of the concerns that developers have if BB could actually provide us with this information. I'd also like info on their actual testing methodology. How are they testing apps? What devices are they testing on - retail or internal builds? What type of network connection are they on? Carrier? Other apps running? Other apps installed? All of this information would be highly useful in determining how a reviewer found a "bug" that we can't reproduce in our own testing.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
rg_bb

Looks like samyotte is looking into this and my longest waiting app has been approved, just 8 or so more to go! I hope we all get our apps reviewed asap...

Please use plain text.
Developer
thubalek
My Device: Dev Alpha C, Playbook 32 GB
My Carrier: BleskMobil

BlackBerry said that they solved all port-a-thon apps on March 12 (two weeks ago).

But application reviews didn't speed up as I'm still waiting for review of my app. It was submitted month ago and still waiting.

This is not serious service if people have to contact somebody to speedup review process. It should work flawlessly for everybody not just for people that complain most.

I'm really affraid that there is still mess in review process as some apps wait month and some were processed within a few days. There is no FIFO there is definitely random access. 

BlackBerry's review process is seriously busted and for me major obstacle for doing business here. I'm in mobile apps business for two or three years and I never met so bad conditions for introducing new app and posting updates.

Lets imagine situation that your customer wants me to create app for BB: I say I'll develop it for month, then BB will review it for one more month and maybe reject because of weird reason (eg rotation issue that never occures to customer).

On Android it takes one month development + a few hours deployment. Updates and fixes are almost immediate.

On BB it takes one month development + unknow number of months for deployment. If app has error then fix may take weeks again.

How I can persuade my customer to create BB app? How long is return of investment? 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- My Blackberry 10 app at http://blackberry.hubalek.net
-- My Android apps at http://android.hubalek.net
Please use plain text.