Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook

AppWorld spammers - Handster Inc - remove their apps and fix review process (please)

[ Edited ]

Dear Blackberry Dev and AppWorld Support

This is an open letter to you from a handful of indie developers who are very upset watching AppWorld Playbook market being littered with spammy one day apps like made by Handster Inc (http://bit.ly/GFR5ME)

This is not a personal attack on Handster Inc, but rather a plea to RIM to increase the quality of reviews and not allow spam tactics from some developers.

AppWorld for Playbook used to be a very user friendly market filled with higher quality apps, but now it's becoming a spam app wasteland with few quality apps at the top and all new quality apps from indie devs at the bottom, buried by free spammy apps in the middle. This gives a potential Playbook customer a very bad taste in their mouth. We already are seeing this reaction from the majority of  our app customers, and that's the reason they can move on to Kindle Fire or future 7" iPad 3.

Look at the apps from Handster Inc - they are clones of the same app with different titles. I should point out that the majority of those titles infrige on trademarks and copyrights like Dora, Simpsons, etc. I see more than 500 apps being published by them, and if they would be all unique, we would not say anything. There are 30+ jigsaw puzzle and learn something apps from them in each category.

If you look at the Strategy category in AppWorld for Playbook - the whole category is littered by the same cloned app with different names.

Let's make the AppWorld for Playbook and upcoming BB10 a better place for customers and serious indie developers!  Dont let spammers ruin the market.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stop AppWorld spammers like Handster Inc (http://bit.ly/GFR5ME) - they ruin the mobile market for all the indie developers.
Stop them now or we start loosing the customers to Apple and Microsoft.
Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: AppWorld spammers - Handster Inc - remove their apps and fix review process (please)

[ Edited ]

Just blame RIM for the free PB give away.  You will never see illegal content on the BB apps.  Someone app RIM should be fired for this.  How can they let this <Inappropriate Content Removed> go unnotice for so long?

This is why I never going to install any Android apps.

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Re: AppWorld spammers - Handster Inc - remove their apps and fix review process (please)

I feel your pain, but Handster is an Android aggregator (i.e. Independent Android store) and Handster was invited and approved by RIM. Actually any aggregator can flood AppWorld, here is the official invitation:

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2011/12/android-aggregator-submit-apps-blackberry/

RIM wants high app numbers... and they will get it one way or another. It is over 60,000 apps and counting...

Btw Handster came to AppWorld few months before the free PB offer.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
New Contributor

Well, sounds like RIM is shooting themselves in the foot...

We are starting to get negative reviews/impressions of the Playbook market from app users in general - this is not a good rebound strategy for RIM if they want to keep their market position... The overall app quality is dropping fast.

I remember Apple was in the same position and now they are removing spammy apps.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stop AppWorld spammers like Handster Inc (http://bit.ly/GFR5ME) - they ruin the mobile market for all the indie developers.
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None yet

what the ffffffff....???????

They just dumped an entire alt market into the playbook catalog?  Are you kidding me?

Dozens of copyright violations in there, as well.  Looks like several duplicates of other apps, as well.

How is this acceptable???

New Contributor

I think we need to start the petition to RIM headquaters, a class action sort of...

This will really kill the Playbook and future BB10 market, because the end user sees those apps as a product of RIM and not individual developers (the phenomena I discovered last few years).

Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None yet

I might be wrong on the duplicate apps, just saw a few that I had seen before, I hadn't noticed that they were "Handster" before instead of their original authors.  

Copyright violations there aplenty, though.  Just an example, ol' George Lucas's lawyers love to go after people who use "light saber" in any context. :-S