Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: 3 Italia

Re: Appworld screenshots on PlayBook have horrible pixelation issues due to JPEG over compression

it would be better if there is also the possibility to see the full image by clicking it, and see all apps from a developer

Ps: what's the purpose of the 1920x1186 advertising image?
I put a lot of effort in creating a nice and appealing one, then is not shown???
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Re: Appworld screenshots on PlayBook have horrible pixelation issues due to JPEG over compression

The "advertising image" as you call it, which is actually called the "Product Featured Image" in the vendor portal, is the image shown when (if) your app is "featured".

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Bold 9650, Dev Alpha A
My Carrier: Sprint

It's about a month later and nothing has changed yet. Our apps still look like the result of feeding your dog too much processed food, to prospective purchasers.

Please, RIM, can we ask for the fix in an Easter egg?

Is there a helpful or useful post in this thread? Click the thumbs up on it so that other people can find it more easily!
Like this post too! Smiley Very Happy
Developer

The 2.0.1 update should have largely resolved this.

My landscape mode images are now relatively readable... not quite as good as they were with 1.0.x but way better than they were with 2.0.0. The compression artifacts are still visible but not really anything more than I'd expect with something like 75% JPG compression levels.

I checked lewellyn's portrait mode images as well, and they now have the correct aspect ratio. I've submitted my one portrait screenshot again, as I'd removed it for the duration since it looked so bad stretched out.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None yet

So, Peter, if I'm understanding you correctly, this issue has changed quite a bit since the 2.0.1 update came out -- so the line that we were given by a RIM representative in this thread, about how it was fixed on their end, and would require up to 60 days for the servers to recache, was a complete load of BS?
Developer

I don't see the need to characterize things in such a black and white manner, nor to always assume the worst about people.

I believe that changes were made to the server side of things, and that those changes would have required time to propagate through, but that a change to the client was (as I always believed) required to address all the issues.

BlackBerry Development Advisor
My Device: BlackBerry Passport
My Carrier: Bell

peter9477 wrote:
I don't see the need to characterize things in such a black and white manner, nor to always assume the worst about people.

I believe that changes were made to the server side of things, and that those changes would have required time to propagate through, but that a change to the client was (as I always believed) required to address all the issues.

Correct.  If you refer to my previous post I did say there were two places we made fixes.  One on the App World server side (that took time to propagate) and another within the App World client itself (now available in 2.0.1).

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer

[ Edited ]

Fair enough. Please accept my sincerest apologies for mis-remembering and mis-characterizing the content of that post.

The App World experience has been extremely frustrating so far, and although I feel like there are things happening with it to improve upon it, the changes that are being made seem to be going at a glacial place.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Z10, PlayBook, 9900
My Carrier: Telus

I'd like to clarify that this issue is still not yet fully resolved.

The issue with images being distorted due to un-even scaling has (as far as I can tell) been fixed.  Thank you!

However the pixelation issue due to over compression of the JPEG images is still present.  I should note that there has been a significant improvement with the level of compression (e.g. they are not as compressed as much as previously when this issue was first reported)

I appreciate that there has obviously been some effort applied here, I just want to clarify that the images are still not up to the quality level that they were previously (pre-February timeframe).

PlayBook Apps: DataMine, Dots + Boxes, 5 Marbles
BlackBerry SmartPhone Apps: 5 Marbles Soon: **** (D.Z.A), ****Quest, **** Challenge, VaultCracker, DevBrowser, Radial****
Developer

I see absolutely no change whatsoever on my own apps. Text is almost completely illegible.