Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Ask to transfer data Over The Air...

Hi,

I know that all software sold on app store should warn the user if some data is sent over the air.

My software doesn't need internet, it uses it only if you click on the "Check for update" button

when the software connect to internet to search for an update.

By default, BB platform asks user if he want to permit the data transfer over the air,

with a signed api it don't ask anything instead.

Should I implement this function by myself due to my app is signed?
Please help.

Developer

Re: Ask to transfer data Over The Air...

Yes, I think you should implement it. It's not difficult.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: 8700 | 8310 | BOLD | STORM

sblantipodi,

So are you handling all of your updates through your own website instead of uploaded new releases to AppWorld?  Did you test the upgrade process?  If so, is it smooth?  Meaning does it say, "You already have YourAppName, do you wish to install this version?"

Thanks

Developer

I think it's a fair move to implement your own update mechanism since RIM is charging your for every update you submit to the App World, ie it counts against your 10 app submissions which cost your $ 20. I think that this isn't really fair towards the developers and if RIM persistes with this, App World won't become much of a success.
Developer

Yes, I agree as I am going to implement it with my next game.  But I was thinking if you have your own update model and trying to avoid paying the AppWorld fee for the updated releases, then there would be version 1.0.0 on AppWorld which the customer has to download and then the upgrade could be at 5.3.2.  Maybe we could force an upgrade for the first time the application is used and then make it optional afterwards?  What are your thoughts?
Developer

In my software there is an "Update" button that check on my server if there is a new version available,

and if it is present, ask to the customer if he want to download it.

Developer

PS: I don't want to avoid paying app store since I'll publish the updated version also on App store...

I use this tricks only for people who don't connect anymore to the app store and want to update my software.

Developer

And the people will use the same dynamic license key?  Are you doing any validation that the PIN number is in your system before you allow them to upgrade?  And when you upgrade, does the blackberry delete the old version which would remove the persistent store (which would remove the key) and then install the new version?  This is what made me stop pursing the auto update for my last games--I wasn't sure how to get people the key again.  Have you experienced this yet?

Thanks

Developer

My update approach is simple: The app automatically checks every 7 days (give the user has allowed data access) or on application start for new updates. If there is any, the app will ask the user if he wishes to upgrade to version XYZ and also tell the user which version he's currently running. If the user acknowledges it, the app will initiate the download process.

With regards to major version jumps like 1.0 to 5.0: I think I personally would consider publishing every now and then a major version upgrade via App World, give the app sells well and the $ 20 will not be an issue then. This way, you keep App World reasonably up to date and can hopefully attract new users with the improved app features etc.

The reason why I implemented my own update mechanism was to be able to distribute bug fixes and smaller enhancements timely without the added costs and delay via App World.

Developer

RLord321 wrote:

And the people will use the same dynamic license key?  Are you doing any validation that the PIN number is in your system before you allow them to upgrade?  And when you upgrade, does the blackberry delete the old version which would remove the persistent store (which would remove the key) and then install the new version?  This is what made me stop pursing the auto update for my last games--I wasn't sure how to get people the key again.  Have you experienced this yet?

Thanks

I haven't looked into the dynamic licensing yet, but I think I will keep a database of what PIM has licensed what app. And if a user upgrades. I will check against this and then unlock the app. Something in that direction. I haven't thought too much about that. But there will be a way to do it.

It a pit pity that every developer has to do the same over and over again just because of these one-sided conditions in the App World :-(