Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
poornamelessme
My Device: Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: -

Auto-conversion Q10 + 9720 Emails -- opt in rather than opt out

[ Edited ]

I'm sure most developers have noticed the autoconversion emails from Blackberry ... first for the Playbook to Z10, then Z10 to Q10, and just today, BB10 to 9720.

Rather than have us opt out, could Blackberry instead please make these programs opt-in?

There usually is a good reason a developer hasn't ported their app to a different device, be it resolution issues or other things. And the automated process can result in somewhat terrible results (based on the PB to Z10 ports I saw) ... they were worse than many apps that would be rejected if submitted normally.

Instead of developers having to make sure they even notice the email, then go through the process of opting out, one by one by app ID, I might add (which is annoying), why not simply have an option to opt-in if the developer is interested?

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Re: Auto-conversion Q10 + 9720 Emails -- opt in rather than opt out

poornamelessme wrote:

BB10 to 9720.

Actually it is not BB10 to 9720, since 9720 is running BBOS. While I agree on your point about automatic conversion from Z10 -Q10 etc, in the case of 9720 is a good approach. Consider this: I have about 40 BBOS apps, so to make them support 9720 I need to edit every single app supported devices and to click on the appropriate checkbox. I've done it before and believe me, at the end of this click-a-thon I already hated myself. So IMO it is a welcome change. But I agree that it would be better to have somewhere an option in Vendor portal where you can choose to opt-out or opt-in in general for automatic conversions.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Developer
poornamelessme

I have no BBOS apps at all and got the email to autoconvert to 9720. Maybe it's webworks apps to 9720? Not sure what they are autoconverting...

And yeah, regarding opt-in, I meant a simple email or option in the vendor portal to allow the conversions at all. I didn't mean it per app, as that would be annoying. I just find it annoying to have to enter each app ID to opt out, everytime I get one of these emails.

I expect a lot of people don't even see them, then some may wonder why they all of a sudden are getting weird reviews on devices they didn't think they were even supporting.

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Hm, strange to include your apps when you have no BBOS apps. AFAIK the so called "autoconversion" is just checking the approprite box for supported devices in the vendor portal, nothing more.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Developer
poornamelessme

I think I realize what they wanted to convert now ... my app generator stuff I made when they held that last portathon, specifically for app generator apps (blogs, flickr, etc) ... maybe? I forgot all about those and believe they are in fact BBOS + BB10. I tend to forget about them, as they are forgettable for several reasons.

Please use plain text.