Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Contributor
bmsno
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: Bell

BB App has 150k impressions per day - $0 revenue!!!

[ Edited ]

Hey everyone!  I've created a few BlackBerry applications most of them have been paid applications, but I finally tried my hand at a free application to see if I could generate any revenue at all.  I've spent the past two months trying to generate revenue testing out BlackBerry Advertising Service, Affiliate Programs, AdMob and the list goes on...

We finally have the application generating over 150,000 impressions per day (not per month, per day!).  To put it in a better prespective 4.5 million impressions per month and we've seen almost $0 revenue for the last two months.  I have no idea if our impressions are high or low, but I do know if this was a website the revenues would be through the roof based on my history in web development. I mean at this rate, the application isn't even paying for the server....

What on earth am I missing?  Has any developer on here had luck with advertising platforms with higher impressions?  What platforms are you using?  I thought advertisers were pouring money into mobile ads at the moment?

I created this account to protect my identity/exposure to my applications.

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Re: BB App has 150k impressions per day - $0 revenue!!!

With that number of impressions you can try Nexage as well - afaik they require as minimum 5 mln impressions per month and you are close to that point.

I have implemented BlackBerry Advertising Service (BBAS) in several apps, in general I get about 50,000 views per day and only about 80-120 clicks per day. It seems that you get paid per click and not per impression, which means that the income is about 10-20 USD daily. The major drawback of BBAS is the missing support of OS 6.0 (as per my estimation it is between 30% and 45% of the users without ads).

I have no experience with AdMob, but if you ask in the BBAS support forum, somebody else may answer.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bmsno

To get the clickthrough rate on your application, did you experiment with positioning or anything like that?  Our clickthrough rate is a lot lower then yours, so that must be the culprit.

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple

I've made the ads implementation as simple as possible (too lazy to make it complicated :smileyhappy: ) - just a banner at the top of the screen, all apps are single screen apps anyway.

The only thing I changed - the ads algorithm in BBAS portal. The default algorithm is "Best CTR", I changed it to "Best Fill" - it doubled my earnings on the very next day after the change.

Another point to consider - you get paid only for clicks in US, Canada and UK (and probably few more countries). So even if you get the clicks, you may get low earnings.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bmsno

Awesome feedback.  Gonna try out your suggestions and hopefully make a few bucks.

Please use plain text.
Developer
positive6900
My Device: bb10 dev alpha
My Carrier: airtel

hi friends

wher can i change the ads algorithm in BBAS portal.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

QuiteSimple wrote:

With that number of impressions you can try Nexage as well - afaik they require as minimum 5 mln impressions per month and you are close to that point.

I have implemented BlackBerry Advertising Service (BBAS) in several apps, in general I get about 50,000 views per day and only about 80-120 clicks per day. It seems that you get paid per click and not per impression, which means that the income is about 10-20 USD daily. The major drawback of BBAS is the missing support of OS 6.0 (as per my estimation it is between 30% and 45% of the users without ads).

I have no experience with AdMob, but if you ask in the BBAS support forum, somebody else may answer.

The Ad Service supports OS 6.0, what issues are you seeing? May be good to start a new post on that.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple

It is a post 2 years old :smileyhappy: By the time I wrote this there was no OS6.0 support (and I was two years younger but it is another topic :smileywink: )

Btw nowadays you can't change ads algorithm too

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
gbeukeboom
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Ah! Well in that case, apologies for the later reply :smileyhappy:

Certain portions of the algorithms can be changed but you need to email in and request the changes be made by RIM:

advertisingservice@blackberry.com

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Please use plain text.