Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

Re: BB10: app not starting, damaged app installation?

If you aren't seeing this on your own device, here is a user friendly way to capture logs that you could have your application users do.

1. From the home screen of the BlackBerry device, click on the Help application.
  2. On a BlackBerry PlayBook swipe down from the top bezel, and select Support.  On a BlackBerry 10 Smartphone select  Support from the bottom menu.
  3. On a BlackBerry PlayBook select Log Submission. On a BlackBerry 10 smartphone select  Create Report.
  4. Enter the Incident Number in the corresponding field.
  5. Enter the Email Address used to open the support ticket with BlackBerry technical support in the corresponding field.
  6. On the BlackBerry PlayBook click Create Report, or Report on a BlackBerry 10 Smartphone.
  7. Follow KB26068 to enable Storage and Sharing.
  8. Connect the BlackBerry device to a PC and open the corresponding removable drive from Windows Explorer (for example, Z:\).
  9. Copy <Date><Time>-<incident_number>.pb log file located under Z:\documents\logs to the computer. The file name will look like YYYYMMDDhhmmss-INC0000xxxxxxxx.pb, for example 20110720193715-INC000012345678.pb
  10. Create a private Issue Tracker submission with that log file, referencing this thread.
Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

MSohm wrote:

Those who have affected apps, please list which type of app it is (Native, WebWorks, AIR or Android).

AIR

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer
agaripian
My Device: Z10 & Dev Alpha C

MSOHM,

My users don't even know how to delete the app and they think they are going to be charged twice for downloading it again from app world. How do you think they would be able to follow the log report submission??

Can you please let us know when this issue is going to be resolved or send me a Z10 so I can try to reproduce it myself.

Here is another review posted about my app. After all the work I put into this I can't believe BB10 was shipped with such a serious bug.

"Review Body:
Downloaded and used once. Since then every time I try to open it just flickers and fails to open."
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer of Stocks for Blackberry 10
Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB

[ Edited ]

Very serious OS bug. It damages not only apps downloaded from BB World, but even sideloaded release bars deployed with blackberry-deploy command line tool (native app). OS version 10.0.10.261, 10.0.9.23xx, OMAP Z10, Qualcomm Z10 and Dev Alpha.

Also (happened only once for me) app that was working perfectly (box and connect to dropbox apps) after device restart changed its icon to "washed" generic icon (one with ball, pyramid and cube) and apps were not able to start at all. Only re-install helped.

Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

I have seen the "washed" generic icon (one with ball, pyramid and cube) show up on a sideloaded signed app of mine on my Dev Alpha A.  This has only happened once.  IIRC, an uninstall/reinstall did not fix it and I had to restart the device, but I did not note down all the details of what I had to do at the time since I was in the middle of trying to release an app update.

I agree with @borceg & others.  This kind of sporadic failure can't get fixed soon enough.  In a hyper competitive market, end user expectations that devices and software just *work* in exchange for them having plunked down their money are reasonable.  It's not like they can't go to other platforms if BlackBerry doesn't come through for them.

Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

I forgot to mention it, but the sideloaded app that had the washed out icon issue was an AIR app.

MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Passport

The issue we fixed has slightly different symptoms than what is described in this thread.  If anyone can submit logs per my post above it will allow us to confirm the issue.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Developer
borceg

OK, issue is submitted for AIR app https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-891

Reading through the comments, seems that they're going to investigate that specific app. This behavior doesn't depend on the type of the app (AIR, native, html5, android - at least that's what I have found so far). I'm going to post some comments on that issue (I don't think that I should create another one, it'll mean wasting of resources) with more explanation + report logs from my device.
Developer
agaripian
My Device: Z10 & Dev Alpha C

Yea, I created that. But made it Air specific sorry I should have made it a generic ticket. You should definitely comment on the ticket and respond to Dustin as well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer of Stocks for Blackberry 10
Developer
borceg

Commented + attached device log.