Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: BB10: app not starting, damaged app installation?

Thanks borceg!  This is getting us closer.  Can you also run this command from a terminal window and paste the results?

ls -l /accounts/1000/appdata | grep 10070

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
New Developer
Rusfuture
My Device: Playbook - 32gig
My Carrier: NA

The note from @borceg shows no execute perms... User is rw. instead of rwx. That might be a problem.

Not sure if the problem I had is related to the one being researched here.  But as a courtesy, here are

details:.  A few days ago, I tried to update one of my apps on a Playbook which I had updated to OS version 2.1.0.1526 a few weeks earlier.  The app, an implementation of the APL language on the Playbook, is offered at no charge.  (Pro Bono work, basically, for educational use).   But when I tried.to update,  the new Playbook OS presented a menu indicating I needed to choose Paypal or VISA, and enter my Paypal account, or *all* my Visa details - including the 3 digit security code, expiry date, and such.   The app is free, so I wrongly assumed this was a new RIM policy, and was not pleased.  Eventually, I entered all my Paypal info, only to find that the app would *not* update to the newest version.  The error indicated was #35005, and the OS reported a "failure to complete this transactilon.  Try again later" or something to that effect.   The first failure to update (with the erroneous demand for financial details) was at night.  I tried the next day, with the same result - although it did not demand financial details this time, but the error #35005 was the same.   I used a different Playbook, and confirmed that free apps could still be updated without providing VISA or Paypal account info.  So on my initial Playbook, I deleted the APL app completely, and just loaded it fresh.  This time, there was no demand for financial data.  The current version of the app simply installed correctly.     

But when I saw @borceg's results, thought I should mention this.   

Looks like the install process might not be managing permissions quite right, and/or somehow, app usage results in permissions being tweaked, and not reset to necessary baseline values.   I had a version 1.0 of a unix utility app that was doing something like that on my Playbook several months back.  The perms were ok on the developers unit, but when I would try to run his app, I couldn't see anything, due to wrong perms being propegated.

Hope this note is useful.  Since I deleted and re-installed, sorry I can't provide reports.

- M. Langdon, GEMESYS Ltd.

Please use plain text.
Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Vip

$ ls -l /accounts/1000/appdata/ | grep 10070
drwxr-x---   6 apps      10070          4096 Feb 06 22:24 sys.settings.gYABgFXZghhSmuJ6oBTACT1DwpQ

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

Thanks borceg! Rusfuture, that is a different issue. I recommend starting a new thread for that.
Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
New Developer
Rusfuture
My Device: Playbook - 32gig
My Carrier: NA

Ok thanx, MSohm, roger that.  I sent the update failure in as an email already.  I have an upgraded version of "sAPL" waiting for approval.  Assuming it gets approved, I will update my Playbooks with it, and if I get that same update failure, on either, I will post details to this forum.  (was just worried that it might be same issue, given I am not using my PBs on a carrier - ie apps with carrier comm. maybe get locked out if/when perms.change, by security.  So perm-chg shows up as a non-working app, but for wifi-only platforms, failure only occurs at app update time.   My solution, to delete and re-install, would not be chosen by someone who had to pay for his app.  So, to an app user on a telecom linked platform, an incorrect permission change on an installed app that wants net access, might just appear as a dead app. Just a thought.  If I can reproduce the install/update failure I had, I will post details in new thread.

Please use plain text.
Developer
agaripian
My Device: Z10 & Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: T

Blackberry Team - Do we have any updates?

Here is another complaint:

****** <*******@********.com>
10:59 PM (4 minutes ago)

to me

Hi

Just purchased your App but it refuses to launch on my z10. Please help. 

Thank you, 

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer of Stocks for Blackberry 10
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm

We're looking to get some more examples of this.  If anyone has any new reports of these please have the user attempt to collect log files per my previous message, quoted here.  Thanks in advance.

MSohm wrote:

Here is a user friendly way to capture logs that you could have your application users do.

1. From the home screen of the BlackBerry device, click on the Help application.
  2. On a BlackBerry PlayBook swipe down from the top bezel, and select Support.  On a BlackBerry 10 Smartphone select  Support from the bottom menu.
  3. On a BlackBerry PlayBook select Log Submission. On a BlackBerry 10 smartphone select  Create Report.
  4. Enter the Incident Number in the corresponding field.
  5. Enter the Email Address used to open the support ticket with BlackBerry technical support in the corresponding field.
  6. On the BlackBerry PlayBook click Create Report, or Report on a BlackBerry 10 Smartphone.
  7. Follow KB26068 to enable Storage and Sharing.
  8. Connect the BlackBerry device to a PC and open the corresponding removable drive from Windows Explorer (for example, Z:\).
  9. Copy <Date><Time>-<incident_number>.pb log file located under Z:\documents\logs to the computer. The file name will look like YYYYMMDDhhmmss-INC0000xxxxxxxx.pb, for example 20110720193715-INC000012345678.pb
  10. Create a private Issue Tracker submission with that log file, referencing this thread.

Mark Sohm

Please use plain text.
Developer
agaripian
My Device: Z10 & Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: T

Just got another negative review on App world. All the hard work goes to waste with such a serious bug that still doesn't have a root cause, no updates on Jira, no answers from Blackberry. It shouldnt take 2 weeks to figure out why this is happening. I opened the JIRA bug on 2/21 https://www.blackberry.com/jira/browse/BBTEN-891

If you want my help to solve it send me a Z10 so I can try to reproduce the issue and help you solve it. 

Please let us know if there are any updates.

----------------------------------------------

Created Date: Mar 7, 2013 10:31:39 PM
File Bundle: Filebundle[id=1023467, name=bb10_1.0.9]
Release: 1.0.9

Review Body:
It would not open the next day I bought it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer of Stocks for Blackberry 10
Please use plain text.
Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Vip

[ Edited ]

There's one simple problem - this is happening at random. I got bored and started downloading anything that comes handy from BB World. I got 6 apps at random, of which only one fails to start.

$ getfacl /apps/stardesigns.shoottheduckbb.gYABgEfLvESYc0NcxhfpOyhGROI
# file: /apps/stardesigns.shoottheduckbb.gYABgEfLvESYc0NcxhfpOyhGROI
# owner: apps
# group: 10379
user::rw-
group::---
group:10070:r--
mask::r--
other::---

I have some questions:

1. Permissions for the app are set by the OS package installer, or they're stored in package itself ?

2. Why permissions are completelly messed up for apps that fails to start ? I see that thy're somehow assigned to group 10070 which belongs to settings app. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
MauriceRice
My Device: Developer
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

MSohm wrote:

We're looking for as many applications that exhibit this as possible.  If you have any that are in BlackBerry World and seeing this issue please post here, in Issue Tracker or private message me (only if you don't want it public).

Thanks in advance for helping us track this down.

Add my app "What's up" to the list of affected apps. There is no discernable pattern - it occurs immediately after the initial download/install but it is unclear whether it happens at other times. Uninstalling the app and ten re-installing "fixes" the problem.

I would include the additional infoirmation requested but I do not have a working BB10 device. My DevAlpha died weeks ago and I do not fget a response when I ask for a status on my application for the special edition device. The bad reviews do not help my mood either.

Please use plain text.