Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

Re: BB10: app not starting, damaged app installation?

The reason why the applications are not launching is because of incorrect permissions set on the application's install/sandbox directory.  Re-installing the application corrects the permissions, allowing the application to start.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
StevenKader
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: Rogers

MSohm wrote:

The reason why the applications are not launching is because of incorrect permissions set on the application's install/sandbox directory.  Re-installing the application corrects the permissions, allowing the application to start.

Thanks for the info.  Is that the App World client that is causing this issue and will require a new version of App World to be installed....or is it from the App World server side?

Steven Kader at JaredCo
   Follow me on Twitter    |     Mipixi.com :  Web App for Photo Sharing
Please use plain text.
Developer
agaripian
My Device: Z10 & Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: T

MSOHM, 

Thanks for the information - You do understand how frustrating it is to Developers when we store application settings/ data in the sandbox. When the app gets uninstalled and reinstalled the sanbox is deleted and re-created which is why the permissions on the sandbox are corrected. But the application data/settings all get wiped out.

I spent a couple of days working on a feature to backup the app data to the Shared Documents folder instead of the app's sandbox because of this issue. (This feature I created will only work if the user even allows the App to access the Phone's shared documents/data). I could have spent more time on features users wanted instead of wasting time on this. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer of Stocks for Blackberry 10
Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

This is absolutely not to be snarky at a stressful time, nor to excuse the install issues, but allowing users to back up data to the shared data area is how apps should work in the first place.  Especially for apps where the user might end up investing a lot of time entering custom data like stock portfolios.  So IMO your time spent adding backup capability is not wasted at all even though you were forced to do it on a timetable you would not have otherwise. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
agaripian

@

Agreed thats why I did it but NO one had asked me for that option. They only asked for it when the app started crashing.  

Lets not forget the user has to allow shared access if they dont then you need to use the sandbox which is what I did.

Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Yes, agreed, and for apps that store data the user might consider sensitive (some folks might consider info about their stock holdings sensitive), it makes sense to store it in the sandbox by default rather than in the shared area, where any malicious apps would have easy access to it, with export to the shared area only happening under their knowledge and control.  But uninstall/reinstall, changing phones, backing up data, etc. are all common scenarios where the user would realize "hey it sucks if my data is stuck in the application sandbox".

Please use plain text.
Developer
agaripian

Anyways the thread is going off topic... All my fault.. Sorry I am venting a bit :smileyhappy: ..

MSOHM how about that end of day update?

Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell

If you have other users concerned about loss of data they can perform a backup of the application data using BlackBerry Link, and restore afterwards.

We're still working on tracking this issue down.  Teams are working through the weekend on it.  This is on our "must fix before US launch" list and one of our highest priority tasks right now.

Apologies again for the stress this is causing all of you.  We want to get this one fixed as quickly as you do.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
StevenKader
My Device: Z10 LE
My Carrier: Rogers

MSohm wrote:

If you have other users concerned about loss of data they can perform a backup of the application data using BlackBerry Link, and restore afterwards.

We're still working on tracking this issue down.  Teams are working through the weekend on it.  This is on our "must fix before US launch" list and one of our highest priority tasks right now.

Apologies again for the stress this is causing all of you.  We want to get this one fixed as quickly as you do.

Thanks for the update Mark.  One question I have is that if it will require an OS upgrade is there a way in BB10 to force users to Upgrade or make sure they are very aware that they need to 'or else'.  Also can carriers delay upgrades like they did on BBOS.  On BBOS this was a big problem having many users on the same OS that they had when they first got their device.  I still have users on 6.0.0.214.

Steven Kader at JaredCo
   Follow me on Twitter    |     Mipixi.com :  Web App for Photo Sharing
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Orange

Mark,

Can we also be fair on this and have some way to remove the obvious 1 star ratings from this problem.

Happy to do this as an email request.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.