Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Contributor
My Device: PlayBook

Re: BB10: app not starting, damaged app installation?

The built-in Pictures app on my Z10(S.R. 10.0.10.85) is unable to open too. Will this be fixed in the new updates?

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

[ Edited ]

I am getting killed with reviews because the app stops opening and user's think it is an issue with the app and not the OS.

With this and the problem with PlayBook apps cannot upgrade if the user bought a Z10 version, is killing sales. If BB is going to encourage PlayBook apps to be Z10 apps, you thing this would have been tested. Come on QA.

Any other industry, if service is not good, the customer (in this case the developer) gets some consideration back. BB gets 30% for what? BBW that does not work 100%, slow fixes, lack of information, lack of common features for like services on other platforms, slow review time. After this gets fixed (assume it will some day, BB needs to (for impacted developers): a) contact those users that left a review regarding these that they were a fault and the problem has been resolved and their review has been totally removed so a new one can be added; b) have the app featured for 1 week.

Developer
My Device: Developer

jtegen wrote:
I am getting killed with reviews because the app stops opening and user's think it is an issue with the app and not the OS.

With this and the problem with PlayBook apps cannot upgrade if the user bought a Z10 version, is killing sales. If BB is going to encourage PlayBook apps to be Z10 apps, you thing this would have been tested. Come on QA.

Any other industry, if service is not good, the customer (in this case the developer) gets some consideration back. BB gets 30% for what? BBW that does not work 100%, slow fixes, lack of information, lack of common features for like services on other platforms, slow review time. After this gets fixed (assume it will some day, BB needs to (for impacted developers): a) contact those users that left a review regarding these that they were a fault and the problem has been resolved and their review has been totally removed so a new one can be added; b) have the app features for 1 week.

I thiink that everyone who downloaded an affected BB10 app (not just those who reviewed it) should receive the email. Also, we have talked until we are blue in the face about fixing the review mechanism -  the review system has to be fixed so that thoughtful reviewers like the following do not continue to damage our reputations. Why can't reviews be changed? Why can't developers post rebuttals? Why can't we communicate indirectly with reviewers who should have written an email to the support email address instead?

Review Body:
Have not been able to open, so I give it 2 stars. Will redo my review when updated.

Developer
My Device: Z30

[ Edited ]

Not sure if our issues are from the same, but we see more and more apps crashing randomly, (not sideloaded - istalled via BBW)  and it seems to happen more often on Android apps than others. Apps can be started - runs for a while - then crashes/exits. Some craches seems to be from UI/state changes... can be to go from ActiveFrame to full mode, or tapping on UI elements, but can also happens with no interraction...

Mem avail - 1 - 1,2GB

Rebooting device does not seem to have any effect on the issue

Even apps that used to be running OK - starts acting up (built-in Browser, Neatly, 360Panorama, SportsTracker to mention a few) - some more than others..

Have so far not gotten any reports for our own apps, but hope issue is solvable so we don't get any problems...

Allthough the issues most likely don't have anything to do with BBW, BBW is the portal out to the public, and features to comminictate with customers are needed... E-mail to "all" customers of an app ex., e-mail directly to reviewers, Reply option from Developer to a Review (only 1 level), Option for users to Modify their review, Easy removal of reviews that does not make sense, and possibly much more... All we want- and need - is to be able to communicate to our users, and many users for some reason don't ever try to contact Support to solve issues, but instead bash in reviews.

And what good as OS updates if the users will never get them?

Already in our country there are many users who got their Z10 devices while travelling, - and not only are local carriers very late with launching (Late April/May), but they will also only launch one model (STL1001), so no one with other devices will ever get updated OS. Solutions must be found... sooner than later

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

The initial issue of this thread has to do with apps not starting at all. If it is crashing after start, then it is an issue with the app (or in the case of Android, possibly the player). In the non-start scenario, it appears to be a permission thing.
Developer

so many threads to keep track of :-)

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

lindstrom wrote:

so many threads to keep track of :-)

And so many BBWorld (and other) problems to keep track of. :-(

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

and after searching the code for the cause of trouble, you find that there IS in fact a fix, in a more recent OS than what you have, or will ever have... :smileyhappy:
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

Innovatology wrote:

MSohm wrote:

The OS version factory loaded on BlackBerry Z10s for the US launch did not contain this fix.  It will be included in the first update, provided very shorty after each carrier's launch.

Mark, [...] Please don't leave us and our users in the dark like this.

The silence is deafening :smileysad:
Bump!

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB

It's up to carriers when the latest update will be aproved. BB/RIM employees can't do anything about that.