Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
peter9477
My Carrier: none

Re: BB10: app not starting, damaged app installation?

Innovatology wrote:
The <platformVersion> element of bar-descriptor.xml is checked by the OS on installation, it is not checked by BB World before purchase as far as I can tell. Mark, can you confirm this?

Your theory was confirmed by a devblog post from a few days ago: http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/05/10-1-gold-with-great-sdk-powers-comes-a-bit-of-responsibility/

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
agaripian
My Carrier: T

Mark/Blackberry,

I released another update for my app and immediately starting receiving a lot of negative reviews and emails. I got used to the emails by now... However, the negative reviews ruin the Blackberry Development experience. I know we can block reviews but I should not be getting these reviews in the first place. I have valuable paid customers that are complaining the update "broke" the app. The worst part is I have NO WAY of contacting them or emailing them to help them out. These customers could be potentially recommending my app to others but they are left in the dark thinking I broke something . This is clearly unfair and not a good way of conducting business.

For the time being all I want is for Blackberry to provide us a way of contacting those that left negative reviews. OR Blackberry sending emails indicating that there is a serious issue/bug with the OS.

I have been dealing with this for about 2 months now and nothing from my prospective has changed. I am extremley frustrated and fed up. Please help us so we can help others.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer of Stocks for Blackberry 10
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

peter9477 wrote:

Innovatology wrote:
The <platformVersion> element of bar-descriptor.xml is checked by the OS on installation, it is not checked by BB World before purchase as far as I can tell. Mark, can you confirm this?

Your theory was confirmed by a devblog post from a few days ago: http://devblog.blackberry.com/2013/05/10-1-gold-with-great-sdk-powers-comes-a-bit-of-responsibility/

This means we cannot prevent devices with a faulty OS from downloading our apps. Back to square one.

It appears only certain apps are affected. Otherwise the community would have exploded already.

Mark, could you help us identify the mitigating factors? Why are some apps having this issue, while others are fine? It seems to have something to do with the permissions dialog. Perhaps there is something we can change in our apps, or instructions we can give our users?

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Carrier: Bell

Currently we do not have a way for developers to directly contact people who have left reviews.  It is something we're looking into adding in the future.

This issue is not tied to specific applications or features used by an application.  It can randomly affect any application.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
agaripian
My Carrier: T

Mark,

I am getting emails/reviews from users stating the app stopped working after upgrading to 10.1.

• Won't open since this morning's OS update to 10.1.0.273
  • Does not work on 10.1

Is this a known issue? I thought this was resolved in 10.1

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer of Stocks for Blackberry 10
Please use plain text.
Administrator
MSohm
My Carrier: Bell

The issue in this thread is definitely solved in BlackBerry OS 10.1.  I recommend starting a new thread with as much data as you can provide for this new problem.

Mark Sohm
BlackBerry Development Advisor

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.