Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

BB10: app not starting, damaged app installation?

There seems to be an issue installing apps on Z10 with retail firmware. We've had a few complaints stating that the app doesn't start, the splash screen isn't displayed, or exits during splash screen. Removing and reinstalling the app from BBW seems to fix the problem.

Of course it could be a bug in our app which doesn't occur after a fresh install (e.g. a bug loading settings), but as the splash screen doesn't even show for some users, my first avenue of investigation would be a damaged install...

Any similar experiences?

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810

Re: BB10: app not starting, damaged app installation?

I've seen similar behavior when installing Android apps (although your is not an Android one), especially Android apps that require some permissions. IMO the permissions screen (which is pushed by the OS) interferes in some cases with the app UI.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
New Contributor
xxslxx
My Device: z10, Playbook

Have had this happen with a couple of apps now - how do I remove / delete them from app world so I can try re-downloading?

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Same here. I've seen it with a few apps as well. Click on it, and then nothing. Reinstalling the app sometimes helps.

We've also been getting a fair number of emails saying that people are getting network issues from BBW on the installation of some apps. Restarting the device does not seem to do anything.
New Contributor
xxslxx

can't even try reinstalling them; they just show as downloading and hitting the pause button has no effect, nor does restarting
Developer
Innovatology

Heard back from one of my contacts at BB:

"Apparently a known issue, a result of a bug in the OS (not so much BlackBerry World). Next release of the OS should properly handle this scenario."

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
New Contributor
xxslxx

This needs to be rectified immediately together with a number of "known issues " and use these as an opportunity to regain trust in the brand - BlackBerry must demonstrate its ability to lead through excellent service and rapid response to improve that service whenever it is found lacking!
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Agree. I am getting a lot of hate email because of this, but at least I have a template response saying it is a App World / OS issue and not our app problem.

Something like this should push a patch out right away.
Developer
agaripian
My Device: Z10 & Dev Alpha C

THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED ASAP! 

All my customers are sending me hate mail and telling my application is **bleep** due to this issue. 

Blackberry forum moderators please respond to this thread. Indicating the issue will be resolved in the next update.  And please let us know if there are any work arround or fixes I can add to my application. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer of Stocks for Blackberry 10
Developer
Innovatology

We've decided to bite the bullet and temporarily remove our BB10 version from sale until this issue is resolved.