Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Re: BB10: app not starting, damaged app installation?

Can we get an approx ETA and release notes?
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

MSohm wrote:

Yes, this will be fixed for the US launch.

Thanks Mark!

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

I only just found this thread, but I have a single user with what sounds like it must be the same problem except that uninstalling is not fixing it.

She reported that my White Noise app was working perfectly well on her Z10 for at least two days.  Then it stopped working. It shows the BB logo splash screen for a fraction of a second when she starts it, then it simply stops loading and never opens the main window. This takes well under a second.

I had her uninstall, reboot, wait overnight, and try reinstalling, and it does the same thing.

I don't know whether the failure occurred immediately after an OTA update of the firmware, but she hasn't reported this correlation.  She seems sharp enough to have put two and two together so I think she would have mentioned it if she'd done an OS update just before it failed.

The app is simple enough that there's no logical explanation related to the app itself for why this would occur. It needs no permissions to work normally, and the only filesystem access is to read/save a few user settings. More to the point, it's clear it's aborting before the app's own code manages to load and start.

Same issue? If so, why would uninstalling and reinstalling not work? Are there any more elaborate sequences that might work around the problem (e.g. wiping the entry entirely from BBWorld using "remove from cloud", requiring a re-purchase?)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook

Peter, this sounds like a different problem.  The one on this thread boils down to incorrect directory permissions being applied to the applications installation.  Removing the application (and directory) and re-installing recreates it with the correct permissions.

Recommend starting a new thread for your issue.  Send me the link and I'll jump in.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

New thread for my own issue is here: supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-World-Development/App-stops-launching-reinstall-doesn-t-fix/m-p/2241445

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
Innovatology
My Device: Playbook, Z10, Q10, Z30 with Files & Folders and Orbit of course

[ Edited ]

Mark, sorry to bug you about this, but could you give us an update? The US is about to launch later today. What minimum OS version should we use to prevent unpatched devices from installing our apps?

Files & Folders, the unified file & cloud manager for PlayBook and BB10 with SkyDrive, SugarSync, Box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Google Docs. Free 3-day trial! - Jon Webb - Innovatology - Utrecht, Netherlands
Please use plain text.
Contributor
RobC450
My Device: Playbook & Z10

I had it happen yesterday.
Turns out it was a permissions problem. The app was requesting access to BBM during initial startup, user denies access and you get stuck with a blank screen at startup.

The fix was to go into security/app/permissions and allow the app to have BBM access. Then everything worked fine.

Please use plain text.
Developer
StevenKader
My Device: Z10 LE

RobC450 wrote:
I had it happen yesterday.
Turns out it was a permissions problem. The app was requesting access to BBM during initial startup, user denies access and you get stuck with a blank screen at startup.

The fix was to go into security/app/permissions and allow the app to have BBM access. Then everything worked fine.

Hi,  this is a different problem.  You should handle the case where the user doesn't allow BBM access.  Many users don't want to give that permission and the app should continue with no problems.  Let me know if you need help with this.

Steven Kader at JaredCo
   Follow me on Twitter    |     Mipixi.com :  Web App for Photo Sharing
Please use plain text.
MSohm
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, BlackBerry PlayBook

[ Edited ]

Innovatology wrote:

Mark, sorry to bug you about this, but could you give us an update? The US is about to launch later today. What minimum OS version should we use to prevent unpatched devices from installing our apps?

This is fixed in 10.0.10.852 10.0.10.822 and higher.

Mark Sohm

Please refrain from posting new questions in solved threads.
Problem solved? Click the Accept As Solution button.
Found a bug? Report it using Issue Tracker
Please use plain text.
Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB

Any tips when .852 or higher will be available for download, either as OTA or autoload.exe file ?
Please use plain text.