Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
BBSJdev
My Device: Playbook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: Orange
Accepted Solution

BB10 bug ruining life (and your app reputation)

[ Edited ]

I'm up at 3am trying desperately to appease a customer, my son's birthday is tomorrow (strike that today) and instead of sleeping so I'm alert for a day of enjoyment I'm doing this...

Mike,

Please do persevere with this and I apologise on BlackBerry's behalf for the inconvenience, I'm sure you can understand how frustrating this is for us as well.

Unfortunately these things happen with any new technologies.

Would you be open to trying some tests for us to aid in finding the solution to this problem?

Some users have reported success by uninstalling the app from the BlackBerry app itself this can be done by;

1) Opening the BlackBerry World App
2) Selecting My World->My Apps and Games
3) Hold down your finger on stokLocker and select uninstall from the context menu.
4) Reinstall the app using the BlackBerry World app.

If this doesn't fix the problem would it be possible for you to submit a log that BlackBerry can use to investigate further? I will warn you though that it is a fairly long process and fairly technical so I will understand if you would rather not.

Best regards,
Stephen

Stok Support

---------------------------------------------
To: "support@stok.biz" <support@stok.biz>
Sent: March 3, 2013 1:32 AM
Subject: Re: BlackBerry World Developer Feedback for stokLocker

After I uninstalled, reinstalled, restarted phone, the whole shebang the icon now has graphics but still will not load 

I will hold on for a refund or a bad review because I am hopeful this program is exactly what I want 

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Sent: Saturday, March 2, 2013 6:00 PM
To: xxxxxx xxxxxxx
Reply To: Support
Subject: Re: BlackBerry World Developer Feedback for stokLocker

Hi Mike,
Thanks for purchasing stokLocker and thanks for contacting us first.

Unfortunately there is a bug within BlackBerry 10 that prevents some apps loading after a download on occasion.

Could you please try rebooting your device and installing the app again the app should then start.

BlackBerry are aware of this problem and we have been advised that a fix will be made available in the next update of the operating system.

I'd appreciate after trying this if you could then please contact me again with the results so we know you are satisfied.

Best regards,
Stephen

Stok Support

There is no amount of compensation that can fix this.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

Re: BB10 bug ruining life

[ Edited ]

At least I can go to sleep now until the next time, everyone who reads this please help me and yourselves and like my post at the link below to get BlackBerry to warn users while they are fixing this.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-World-Development/BB10-app-not-starting-damaged-ap...

Don't ask me why but the third time I installed it, it works.

I was going to try uninstalling like you suggested but needed to download it first, no need it works.

I added a review and I hope it works out for people the first time 

Goodluck and thanks 

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

Anyone with high contacts in BlackBerry please bring this issue to their attention.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Re: BB10 bug ruining life (and your app reputation)

Chill. This is not the BFB forum, so ranting around won't help to fix the issue faster. As already stated several times, it is top priority issue to fix.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Vip

[ Edited ]

This bug is top priority for BB. I know that it's hard to deal with customers (I'm still experiencing that every day) but that's life.

Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

[ Edited ]

Did you read the post there is absolutely no problem with the customer his concerns are absolutely valid.

If you look at the timings my post precedes any announcement from BlackBerry that this is a priority for them.

I'm astounded that you label an attempt to bring a wider audience in to this as a rant (3 sentences is a rant really!), this bug has been around for a number of weeks now with no feedback on when a fix was coming or a communication to users.

If you don't care about your customers or your reputation then fine but please don't ask me to have the same lax attitude as you obviously do.

I find the level of tolerance for a company that feels its fine to keep developers in the dark astounding and by not adding your voice you are letting them know they can continue to act this way.

And I'm not the only one, look around at other posts.

If you don't have anything constructive to add please keep it to yourself as endless off-topic posts about 'chilling' and ranting quickly become tedious.

This is my job not a hobby.

I will continue to post problems in what is a public forum for discussions, if you believe in censorship and only listen to those that share your own narrow view of what are acceptable topics for you then please feel free to add me to your ignore list.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

I've been getting emails from customers too. All you need to tell them that it is a known issue by BlackBerry, they are working the issue, please try re-installing the app. If you get a bad review because of it, just deny them. There has been a thread on this for a few weeks already.
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

jtegen,

Thanks I'd rather be a little bit more proactive than this as the customers who post a bad review, after your email, have either not believed you or not understood, either way you are unlikely to retain them as a customer or convince them to pay for another of your apps.

It also doesn't address those customers who don't contact you first and are then lost as customers as well.

All lost revenue through none of your fault.

So talking of pro-activity I think a simple message from BlackBerry to the users until this is fixed would go a long way to alleviate these scenarios.  Fine if the problem, now confirmed as a high priority for BlackBerry, will be fixed in the next few days or even a week then we can probably avoid this if the fix will be longer then I think not.

The trouble is we just don't know as there has been no feedback on timescales.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

And what you are asking will not come from BB (what is wrong, timeline, etc.). Best to blog it on your site (or other mediums for your customers). This is not the first, nor it will be the last thing that will disrupt customers from obtaining your app.

The issue does not impact everyone, nor does it impact every app in a consistent way.

You know your customers best, but mine seem a little more tolerant to things like this. Keep you customer's informed, respond honestly and quickly, and you will keep them. Minus the ones that will be angry no matter what you do.
Please use plain text.
Developer
BBSJdev

Thanks for the reply.

If your individual stats bear that out then that's good, however industry wisdom and over 22 years of working in different product fields has told me that it's extremely difficult to win a customer back once they have been disappointed.

BlackBerry as a large company will definitely have within its walls business management experts (as I am) who will understand this, will understand why companies do expensive product recalls, inform quickly, etc. when there is a problem. Studies have shown that customers will accept most things as long as you keep them informed.

You are right that it doesn't affect everyone or every app but since once again we have no feedback from BlackBerry on how many they think this will affect we are once again in the dark.  My own stats seem to suggest 1 in 4 at the moment.

If I'd acted this way when I ran programs I would quickly have lost my customers and millions of dollars for my company.  Now I am not the head of TSMC, Flextronics, Wipro or Sony (previous members of my program) but I am of importance to BlackBerry, as all developers are to their success or failure and expect to be treated with the same amount of respect. 

You are to quick to say BlackBerry won't do this as if you have given up or are so used to the fact that BlackBerry won't act on your behalf when a problem occurs that you feel it's not even worth pursuing. However BlackBerry are no longer RIM, with a promise to turn over a new leaf and relaunch themselves the possibility opens up to change this past behaviour as well.

BlackBerry take 30% of the revenue from your app and in return offer to act on your behalf as interface between customer and developer, for that 30% I think a simple message explaining to customers that this may occur and an explanation on how it may be fixed is the least they can do.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

See, I was trying to give you some helpful suggestions, and just like other threads, your initial response to others, myself and to BB is to attack.  I've been doing this a lot longer then you and in many more industries then anyone can imagine.  

It is best to understand the situation and try to contribute to resolve it then attack and place blame. 

I will let this thread die on my part. Please do the same.

Please use plain text.