Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Contributor
DMA2011
My Device: playbook

BB10 webworks submission

Just what is the current position regarding BB10 webworks app submission?

We currently have a number of apps running on the playbook. They are optimized for the PB and we have always assumed that we will have to make our changes, test and submit new bars. No problem.

We need to keep our work to a minimum, so the plan is to create and submit the apps when there is a stable SDK / store environment. We do not want to submit apps only to be told later that they need to be recreated/submitted.

So why the confusion? - We have received mail's from BB urging us to submit apps using the latest 3.0 SDK, but we use webworks and can only find the version 1.02, when we submit playbook apps, they are being tested and failing compatibility on the BB10 (no surprise here) but does that mean that if the PB version was compatible then we wouldn't have to submit a new BB10 bar?

Anyone here in the know? have I missed something in the documentation, if so could someone point me in the right direction.

Finally, regarding the allocation of the BB10 test devices. Yes, we could have picked on up at the roadshow, but as there was only one date available per country in Europe, it was inevitable that some developers would not be able to make it to the roadshow.  Could RIM not have acknowledged their loyal developers by allocating them a device for testing without the need to attend. 

Retired
tneil
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: BB10 webworks submission

I would recommend waiting for the November release of the WebWorks SDK to package up and submit your applications to AppWorld for BB10.  There are some changes coming to the core framework that will require a re-build with that version of the SDK for compatibilty with the BB10 OS.

When building for BB10 I would strongly suggest using the BlackBerry 10 specific WebWorks SDK.  Can PlayBook WebWorks bar files run on BB10? Yes, but they use more memory, are less performant and do not have access to the BB10 specific integration points.  Again, I highly recommend re-packaging with the BB10 specific SDK.

Tim Neil
Director, Application Platform & Tools Product Management
Follow me on Twitter