Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Contributor
My Device: None
My Carrier: None

Bango rips-off developers by charging 6$ per transaction

Hello Blackberry,

I just got an email from Bango, telling me that they are going to charge 6$ per transaction from now on.

I think this is a complete rip-off! Why am i paying 30% of my revenue to Blackberry AND 6$ per transaction now?

If I earned 6$/month then Bango gets it all.

Please either give me 100% of the revenue or skip Bango, the rip-off company.

How can an automated transaction cost 6$ per transaction?

Please explain.

Greetings!

Visitor
My Device: z10
My Carrier: Wind Moble

Re: Bango rips-off developers by charging 6$ per transaction

I got the same email too and was outraged as well. I already e-mailed a complaint to Bango. Apparently they only send you money if you have accumulated $50 in sales and charge you $6 fee for that. So if you make $6/month on sales of your app you would need to wait 6 months before you collect enough money for the transfer. This is slightly better then being charged $6/month but its still a ridiculous charge which would be 12% fee on top of the 30% fee that blackberry charges.  The 30% cut that blackberry takes should include all these types of services and if it doesn't then blackberry should reduce their cut.  

As far as I am aware i do not have an option of opting out from having my app being sold through carrier billing and so all my app sales should be treated the same. What Bango is doing is extortion and taking advantage of being the only service provider for carrier billing. 

Developer
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Tim

I agree with you it's very high fee, why BlackBerry don't have only one company for the payment? For example BlackBerry commerce

* Like this post 

If this post is helpful, please click the "like" button! :smileyhappy:
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

Yes this is using a monopoly position to add to profits, I suggest contacting BlackBerry reps via email and twitter to complain.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Developer
My Carrier: Tim

I think nothing will change
If this post is helpful, please click the "like" button! :smileyhappy:
Developer
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE, Z30
My Carrier: Orange

It's worth trying, one thing is for sure doing nothing will definately result in no change.

This would be acceptable if BlackBerry had 100 million handsets and selling opportunities were high, with the limited amount currently available and hence reduced revenue for any developer coding for BB10 presently, any extra charge is just poor judgement.  Coming just 3 months after the release of BB10 this is unexpected and puts one more dent in BlackBerry/Developer relationships.  Just when things were looking good.

If you've been helped click on Like Button, if you've been saved buy the app. :smileyhappy:

Developer of stokLocker, Sympatico and Super Sentences.
Contributor
My Device: Playbook

This is an absolute rip-off. I dont think any other app store charges money for transferring the money.. I thought that is what they hold the 30% for.
New Contributor
My Device: None

I sent an email to bango and blackberry, Bango answered:

Hi

Both payment methods incorporate a small processing fee, which we are updating to best reflect updated transactional costs.

Regards
Naomi

This is bull**bleep**, no one can tell me an automated transaction costs 6$ each time. @BlackBerry: Why am i paying 30% of the revenue to you PLUS 6$ per transaction to Bango?

Developer
My Carrier: Fido

$6? You are lucky then. They are ripping me off $20 for bank transfer.

I thought they are already ripping us off with added BS fees.

Now with crappy paypal exchange and then this.  BlackBerry really need to get rid of Bango and use their own commerce.

Developer
My Device: Z10 LE, PlayBook
My Carrier: T-Mobile

This really is bad news for indie developers. By the time you build up $50 in payments ($71 is carrier-billed sales), you only see $44. In essence, they end up taking an additional 10% in fees.

Definitely worse if you are in a country without PayPal. You only get $30. All the fees end up taking 58% of the total. Not cool at all.

What's the option? Opting out of carrier billing and miss out on sales?

Maybe it's worth it if you are making $1000+ per month, but as an indie developer, dropping profit to between 40-60% is really a low blow.