Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
adwiv
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Bango rips-off developers by charging 6$ per transaction

@PlayBookDave The transaction being discussed here is when Bango pays you, not when you sell the app. Bango will only pay you when you have minimum of $50 balance with them, the $6 fees would not put you in red.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
PlayBookDave
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: Fido

Ok  was haveing mini melt down and did  adjust app asking price.

Please use plain text.
Developer
adwiv
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

QuiteSimple wrote:

1) Postpone the bank transfer fee change for several months (PayPal fee change cannot be avoided AFAIK because of the PayPal terms changes). Why postpone this change? Because:

a) the demographics of BB developers is different: before you had to deal with tens of developers making hundreds of dollars, now is the opposite: hundred of developers making tens of dollars monthly.

@QuiteSimple: These hundreds of developers making tens of dollars per month can not be handled by a percent based fees structure.

At the current 1.8% fees, to recover $10 in bank transfer charges, the average payment amount across all vendors should be $555. For each vendor who just meets the $50 criteria, you need a vendor with $1050 in sales to balance. However as you said, the number of vendors earning $50 are ten or hundred times more than vendors earning $1000 thus bringing down the average payment size.

Let us assume that there are 1000 developers with an average payout per month of $100. The total payout is $100k and if the bank charges a fixed $10 fees per transfer, bango needs to spend $10000 on wire transfer fees.

If it were to recover this fixed cost as a percentage of the payment, Bango would need to deduct a whopping 10% from all payments as transaction charges.

Clearly if they start charging 10%, there would be a riot and the vendors earning high amounts would switch back to PayPal and the average payment size will drop again and Bango would have to increase the percent again and so on till it reaches 20%.

So in my opinion, the fixed fees for wire payments is the only viable soltion.

To make the fees less painful for developers, Bango should allow them to change the minimum payment threshold so that they can save on the charges. Mobihand allowed this too.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

Who cares what fees PayPal (or the banks) are charging to Bango? ALl I want is for Bango to stop charging fees to me. Give me that full 70% that we have agreed upon, and not a cent less.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
leylandrichard
My Device: None
My Carrier: O2

I'm Richard from Bango. Just wanted to confirm that we've noted down these suggestions/requests as of Friday, and they have been put forward for review over the next week or so. We'll report back our views. Note that any action resulting from these suggestions needs to be agreed at our end, agreed by BlackBerry, then implemented, so there won't be any immediate changes.

If anyone would like an update at any time they can contact me at richard@bango.com - And our support remains contactable at support@bango.com

Thanks

Richard

Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

leylandrichard wrote:

I'm Richard from Bango. Note that any action resulting from these suggestions needs to be agreed at our end, agreed by BlackBerry, then implemented, so there won't be any immediate changes.

So presumably BlackBerry agreed when you decided to change towards charging developers $72 per year?

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
leylandrichard
My Device: None
My Carrier: O2

This is Richard from Bango again. I promised to report back on the results of internal discussions on developers concerns expressed here. The main two concerns were about the introduction of the $6 fee, and the lack of flexibility on pay out - So that it might be possible to be paid $50, therefore lose a relatively high percentage of your revenue.

We previously noted that our decision is to pass on the fees we incur - This decision hasn't changed.

In relation to flexibility on pay out level, we have good news. It's generally agreed that this is a good idea. This functionality has been added into an existing development project - though there is no fixed live date at this point. Our support blog post on the subject is here: http://bangoserviceblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/25/changes-to-blackberry-developer-pay-out/

Any questions, post them here, or mail me at richard@bango.com

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Developer
gyubok
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Telus

Why is BlackBerry teaming up with this incompetent company.

Please use plain text.
Developer
mmd12
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Q10, Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I received a developer survey today from BB regarding appworld.  I suggested they drop Bango or allow me to opt out of carrier billing. 

Please use plain text.
Developer
KermEd
My Device: NA
My Carrier: NA

Bango, the fees you charge do not match the fee changes from PayPal.

You take 600 percent of the paypal fees.

I'm just about at my limit with Bango. That post from them borders on useless and is just hit air from Bango trying very poorly to justify expenses.

Is there not some way I, as a developer, can choose to completely opt out of Bango?

I'd rather have no carrier payments come back to me than to keep encouraging g Bango like this. This 52% fee structure from Bango is ridiculous. Why do they get more money than me for my apps? They didn't write the code.

My recommendation keep tweeting the facts to bangodotcom and asking blackberry to go #Bangofree2013
Please use plain text.