Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Contributor
schmidtec
My Device: Not Specified

BlackBerry App Generator questions

Hello,

Why is a v1 added to my app name when I make an app through the BlackBerry App Generator ?

Also, I've made a few versions of the app and I'm close to finalizing the look. I'd like to rename my Version 4 app to the original app name. Can I rename the first (not looking so good now) app to something else then rename my latest (great looking) app to the original name?

Thank you,

schmidtec

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
rhearty
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: RIM

Re: BlackBerry App Generator questions

Hey schmidtec,

The (v1) is added to track the version numbers with the current implementation of the App Generator.

You most certainly can do what you're suggesting (re-name the original, and then name your Version 4 to the desired name).

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
joshualo
My Device: 9000, 9530, 9550, 9630, 9800, 9900, PlayBook, Dev Alpha A, Z10
My Carrier: Rogers

Hey Ryan,

So if we are to create subsequent versions of the app, they will each have new URLs, stats, etc.? In order words, they are treated as a whole new app? Is there a way to merge them or keep versioning so that we don't have to update links from our website and such?

Second question - how do I have my app run on BB10? I have a Dev Alpha unit right now and I can't find my app in App World.

Thanks!

Joshua

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
rhearty
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: RIM

Hi joshualo,

There are some changes coming that should help both cases here.

1. New version of the same application will be injested as new Releases vs. a new Product.  This will simply imcrement the version number of your application and exsiting users will be offered an Upgrade.  You'll retain your user-base and be able to offer updated versions to them without directing them to a completely new Product.

2. We'll be adding BlackBerry 10 support to any application created with the App Generator.  We'll automatically begin submitting BlackBerry 10 versions for all currently existing applications and going forward. 

Unfortunately, i don't have confirmed timeframes on either of the above, but I'll try to circle back with you with more information.  It should be within the next couple of week for sure.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
joshualo
My Device: 9000, 9530, 9550, 9630, 9800, 9900, PlayBook, Dev Alpha A, Z10

Thanks Ryan for the quick response.

I want to ensure that I have the BB10 app ready in time so I can qualify for the program where I can exchange the DevAlpha for the limited edition BB10 device as promised during the BB 10 Jam.

Please let me know when I can do this.

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
wankus
My Device: Bold 9780 & dev alpha A
My Carrier: Play

I'd like to know the same as joshualo - will our apps created in blackberry app generator apply for exchange for limited version of bb10 device ?

Thanks for info!
Please use plain text.
Developer
bbquincar
My Device: PlayBook, Z10, Dev C

I dont think the BlackBerry App Generator is counted at an app done 

devalpha_limitededition_faq

3. Application Criteria.

3.1 Applications must provide a functionality that is considered useful to the end user, as determined by Sponsor, in its sole and absolute discretion. However, the following categories of applications are specifically excluded from eligibility for the Offer:

• (a) Web launchers or shortcuts;
  • (b) Web browsers;
  • (c) Applications that provide a simple, single function, such as playing noise or displaying a graphic; and,
  • (d) Applications that already exist for the BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet that will work, as is, with the BlackBerry 10 operating system without any changes, modifications or other revisions

(collectively, an “Excluded Application”).

if you made the app your self and add a **bleep** load of stuff maybe they look at it though you never know.

BlackBerry 10 game reviews for the unknown, small and indie developers. Little games with big dreams. VeryBerryGames.com | Follow @VeryBerryGames | TwoCasualCoders.com | never casual on quality
Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor (Retired)
samyotte
My Device: Torch

Hey folks,

The BlackBerry Dev Alpha testing devices were given out in response to developer requests for testing hardware. They are a development tool that goes hand in hand with our priority native toolsets – the BlackBerry 10 Native SDK, BlackBerry 10 WebWorks and BlackBerry 10 SDK for Adobe AIR. The limited edition BlackBerry 10 device is a way for us to show our appreciation for those developers who have used those tools to make those amazing apps.  Although the BlackBerry App Generator is a great tool and we fully support its use and intention, however users of that tool do not need a Dev Alpha device to produce an app and so those applications do not qualify.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
milloscadc13
My Device: 9800- 9300
My Carrier: Claro Colombia

[ Edited ]

Can you tell me how many time or days take to aprove an app for blackberry app generator?. Thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
26filip
My Device: Dev Alpha C, Z10 LE
My Carrier: Orange Poland

My app was approved very quick - about 7 days after submit, when I submit at start of Last Chance Port-A-Thon.

However my app is approved in BlackBerry World, in BlackBerryAppGenerator Portal still has status "In review" and is blocked...

All time online :smileyvery-happy:
Please use plain text.