Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
pfiffi78
My Device: Not Specified

BlackBerry App World: A one side bet

Hi,

I was seriously thinking of publishing some of my applications via the BlackBerry App World. However, after reading the terms and conditions I concluded that it's absolutely not worth it. The terms are just a one side bet for RIM with RIM taking no risk whatsoever. They demand that you pay a $200 dollars upfront fee to allow you to submit applications to their store which would be close to empty without any external app developers. 

Then, if you want to provide your users with an update for your application, which most likely is going to be free of charge for the users, RIM counts this against the 10 application submissions that come with the $200 fee. That means, that each successful app submission costs you $20, so you spent money before you even have sold the first copy of the app!

And then there is this old fashioned pricing model, with the cheapest possible pricing being $ 2.99. Has RIM actually paid any attention what is going on in the mobile application world? Where was the market research carried out here? The best selling applications on the Apple App Store are the ones for like $0.99 (or less than £ 0.99). 

I don't understand why RIM is asking the developers to take all the risk here. There is no guarantee that an app will sell and with the outdated fixed pricing model there is also little a developer can do to promote an app with a lower introduction offer.

I think Apple's approach is clearly fairer here: They charge 30% of the purchase price and 70% are yours. There is no upfront fee and there is no application submission penalty. So wonder, that Apple has already achieve over one billion downloads and thousands of applications being submitted to the store. An Apple is actually doing something with their App Store for these 30% that gives you a great place for selling an application.

If RIM is serious about this App World, then they should look into offering a more serious and fairer business model that encourages developers to take part and submit their applications istead of penalizing them for doing so. Having a dominant position for smart phones doesn't automatically mean people will buy everything that comes with it. So it's not an argument for this business model.

I will distribute my apps elsewhere instead. I rather give them away for free via a normal website download and I will have already earned $200, the money I have saved by not submitting the application to the AppWorld.

Daniel

Please use plain text.
Developer
jonberry

Re: BlackBerry App World: A one side bet

I disagree.

App World isn't perfect but it's a good start.

If you don't think you can make your $200 back in sales then don't submit.

I think it would be better if they charged $20/app but keep in mind that someone has to test this stuff.

From what I've heard Apples App Store is filled with a bunch of crap.

Maybe RIM is trying to avoid this to some degree.

BTW, 80% is the fairest business model out there!

List your apps with Handango if you want to get screwed.

They will let you list for free.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Nelvin

In addition to what jonberry wrote - $20 per submission is really not a big deal

- consider how much time/money it requires to develop an app

- If you need lots of bug fixes - consider doing a better QA upfront

- For serious updates - don't release them for free

And last but not least - as soon as a single submission topped $200 in revenues, which requires about 2 sales a day for only a month,  you're earning even more than with Apples AppStore.

Please use plain text.
Developer
pfiffi78

Nelvin wrote:

In addition to what jonberry wrote - $20 per submission is really not a big deal

- consider how much time/money it requires to develop an app

- If you need lots of bug fixes - consider doing a better QA upfront

- For serious updates - don't release them for free

And last but not least - as soon as a single submission topped $200 in revenues, which requires about 2 sales a day for only a month,  you're earning even more than with Apples AppStore.

It's not about lots of bug fixes, it's about maintenance releases. Smaller improvements etc. And yes, there will be bug fixes, because I haven't come across a singel piece of software that was bug free from day one!

I think time will tell how successful RIM will be with that, but I don't believe they will get anywhere close to what Apple has achieved. The terms are simply more in favour of software companies rather than independent developers. And I think that's where RIM is limiting the App World's potential.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Nelvin

Well as I wrote, as soon as any single submission, even a maintenance release, creates more than $200 in revenues  you're profit will be higher than with Apples free submission system.

If f.i. my games wouldn't even get 67 sales at $2.99 for a release I'd probably release them for free on my website and be done.

But that's just my opinion - so yours may vary.

Please use plain text.
Developer
pfiffi78

I have just read the terms & conditions for App World and came across this:

5.1 Application Revenue Fee Vendor shall pay to RIM twenty percent (20%) of Application Revenue (which as defined in this Agreement excludes any fees paid by an End User to an MoR to obtain a copy of an Application through an MoR Kiosk) ("Application Revenue Fee") on a calendar quarterly basis in arrears, payable within thirty (30) days of the end of each calendar quarter. Vendor shall provide to RIM a monthly report outlining calculation of the Application Revenue Fee for the applicable month in accordance with United States generally accepted accounting principles. Vendor shall pay the Application Revenue Fee in United States dollars by electronic funds transfer as directed by RIM to Vendor in writing.

So that means, we have to pay an upfront fee of $200 to be allowed to submit applications to the App World Store and then you still have to pay another 20% of your revenues to RIM. I am not quite sure how that is fairer than the Apple App Store model, where you just pay 30% and that's it. In fact you only have charges when you start selling and then the 30% seem to be a fair deal. And you can submit as many applications and updates as you like at no extra charges. 

Now that some weeks have passed since App World has gone live, you still cannot find any really nice application that usually come from private developers and not companies. The apps you can find are apps that have been around long before App World and are charged at prices which were/are the reason in the first place that nobody buys them.

I am missing the vibe in all this. If RIM really wants to get this moving, they need to put more enthusiasm in this and try to support small developers and not make the whole a bureaucratic procoss that puts every one off.

Please use plain text.
Developer
RLord321
My Device: 8700 | 8310 | BOLD | STORM

pfiffi78,

Did you read the entire documentation for the iPhone Developer Program?  Nothing is free:

Standard Program: $99

Enterprise Program: $299

10 Applications is a fair amount.  If you have 11 applications then you are doing pretty well.  If you are concerned about the update releases, program update logic in your program.  Let it check for an update before it starts, then have it download from your website... There are many ways were you can around obstacles and challenges when you have a developer mindset which should allow you to do anything. 

There are many good people on this forum that can assist you with getting your questions resolved and hopefully your concerns are at ease now.  If not, post a question.

Please use plain text.
Developer
My Device: ***
My Carrier: ***

Consider another publisher.

For example:

Handango.com

or Mobihand.com

Please use plain text.
New Developer
javiergv
My Device: 8530

A doubt. Free Applications must also pay $ 200?
// Code for getting Thanks
if( iWasHelpful && solvedYourProblem ) {
Thanks++;
solution = true;
}
Please use plain text.
Developer
pfiffi78

Yes you're right. You pay for the privilege of publishing apps on the App World Store :-|
Please use plain text.