Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Contributor
shafi_vjp
My Device: Bold 9700

BlackBerry Push Service Evaluation Form - Source IP Address for Pushes

Hi,

I am new to blackberry push sdk. I am trying to run the sample server provided in the sdk which runs on my local machine on tomcat server.

Now i want to register my client app for receiving push messages which are sent through this server. But when i fill up the registration form for registering my app with rim, I am not quite able to figure out what should i write in the "Source IP Address for Pushes" field. My doubt is that my server runs on localhost, so i dont quite get the reason for entering this field.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

All problems in the world have solutions. Hope mine has one too.

Please use plain text.
Developer
pprasad
My Device: Bold 9000

Re: BlackBerry Push Service Evaluation Form - Source IP Address for Pushes

the "Source IP Address for Pushes" is the server ip address which sends a request to the RIM BIS server to push the messages to the blackberry handset. You will require this if you plan to test push feature on a real handset. I doubt you can test the BIS push in a localhost environment or a Simulator.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
shafi_vjp
My Device: Bold 9700

[ Edited ]

Does that mean there is no way to test push applications on simulator? If that is the case, every time i make a change, I got to make a new build, download it on real device and then only i can test it. This is very time consuming process. Is there a shorter way?

All problems in the world have solutions. Hope mine has one too.

Please use plain text.
Developer
pprasad
My Device: Bold 9000

I doubt there is a way to test BIS push on a Simulator. The reason being the BIS push uses the PIN identifer of your blackberry handset to push across the message and this is unique. A simulator always has a default PIN which is not unique. Also, you need to have the blackberry service enabled on your mobile connection to receive push messages.

However, there might be a way to test BES push on a simulator.

Here is the link:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/6338/Testing_push_applications_607571_11.jsp

Haven't tried it so cannot comment on the BES push testing methods.

Please use plain text.