Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: idea

BlackBerry Push Service Evaluation Form - Source IP Address for Pushes

Hi,

I am new to blackberry push sdk. I am trying to run the sample server provided in the sdk which runs on my local machine on tomcat server.

Now i want to register my client app for receiving push messages which are sent through this server. But when i fill up the registration form for registering my app with rim, I am not quite able to figure out what should i write in the "Source IP Address for Pushes" field. My doubt is that my server runs on localhost, so i dont quite get the reason for entering this field.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

All problems in the world have solutions. Hope mine has one too.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9000

Re: BlackBerry Push Service Evaluation Form - Source IP Address for Pushes

the "Source IP Address for Pushes" is the server ip address which sends a request to the RIM BIS server to push the messages to the blackberry handset. You will require this if you plan to test push feature on a real handset. I doubt you can test the BIS push in a localhost environment or a Simulator.

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: idea

[ Edited ]

Does that mean there is no way to test push applications on simulator? If that is the case, every time i make a change, I got to make a new build, download it on real device and then only i can test it. This is very time consuming process. Is there a shorter way?

All problems in the world have solutions. Hope mine has one too.

Developer
My Device: Bold 9000

I doubt there is a way to test BIS push on a Simulator. The reason being the BIS push uses the PIN identifer of your blackberry handset to push across the message and this is unique. A simulator always has a default PIN which is not unique. Also, you need to have the blackberry service enabled on your mobile connection to receive push messages.

However, there might be a way to test BES push on a simulator.

Here is the link:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/6338/Testing_push_applications_607571_11.jsp

Haven't tried it so cannot comment on the BES push testing methods.