Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Contributor
afshahda
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9300
Accepted Solution

Blackberry data plan

Hi,

I have blackberry curve 3g with a data plan from Etisalat Egypt. I noticed that besides paying for the service, sometimes they take more money and tell me that I used third party applications that considered mobile internet. I didn't understand. My question is: what exactly the BB service includes and what will make me pay more more money? And how do I know that that application will need more data? Please be patient and explain that in details to let me understand.

Contributor
muckdererste
My Device: 9810 Torch (OS 7.1.0.569), PlayBook (OS 2.0.1)

Re: Blackberry data plan

Hello afshahda,

There are indeed two ways, the Blackberry can connect to the internet!

First of all, the "main" way over the APN (access point) blackberry.net (called BIS or BES)... This is normally the standard way on every Blackberry!

The second way is the WAP apn from the local provider eg. Etilsat Wap apn...

This wap connection is taken for eg media streaming (youtube,..) or some apps.. BUT Smart apps has normally included a setting screen in which u can set ur connection type between wifi, tcpip, wap or bis/bes,...

And so the costs and included data in your dataplan depends on the local provider... Eg in austria they have had the same problem because they had:

Unlimited transfer over BIS/BES
And 50MB for WAP apn

So the same problem exists as u mentioned...

So since half a year u have got included 1GB wap and unlimited BIS/BES....

A way to control is the berry sign in the upper right corner near the 3G symbol... Is it there the device shoul be connected over BIS.. Is there only 3G it could be connected over WAP apn.....

Another solution check out your tcpip settings on your Blackberry under advanced settings... And be sure to set the APN to "blackberry.net" (no pw, no user)......

Third solution, ask your provider how much traffic u have got over BIS apn and how much over WAP, so u can save money :smileyhappy:

Hopefully this helps,

Jul