Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
mmd12
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Q10, Z10

Can I Stop Bango Purchases?

I think the answer is no, but I figure why not ask.

I've looked through the vendor portal and can't see a way, but I would like to not allow purchasing my apps through the carrier (which then goes through Bango).

This way, the user can either move on and not purchase, or use their paypal/credit card.

I'm motivated due to the email that I received today informing me that Bango will charge a fee to send me the money by paypal ($6.00) or direct deposit ($20.00).

My apps are very low volume and only on the Playbook and BB10.  And since Bango only pays with a minimum $50, I doubt I'll ever see any money from them.

Or perhaps I'm ignorant of the whole situation and it's implications.

Please use plain text.
Developer
Apodidae
My Device: Z10 LE, PlayBook

Re: Can I Stop Bango Purchases?

[ Edited ]

It does seem very discouraging. I don't see a way to opt out from the vendor portal, other than possibly contacting vendor support.

This sort of goes right along with the other thread on payments. There really needs to be better communication about all of this from BlackBerry, DRI, and Bango.

What gets discouraging is the amount of fees that can possibly be taken out. Let's say you have 10 sales a day @ $.99, and 10% are carrier billing (Bango). The app would have made $297 in that month.

DRI and BlackBerry would pay you your 70% from their recorded sales (90% sales = $267), and you would see approximately $187 between the two.

Sales through Bango would be $29.70, with $20.79 being the vendor's portion. With a $50 minimum monthly payout, it would be at least three months before a payment would hit the $50 mark ($62 in this example), of which Bango charges $6 to transfer to PayPal. For $89 in gross sales, the vendor receives $54 (60%). If the vendor lives somewhere that doesn't accept PayPal, they receive $42 after the $20 processing fee (47%). Over half of the sales amount goes towards fees. And that is provided that monies through Bango are available promptly.

If you have an app selling $1000+ per month in carrier billed sales, it's probably not an issue. But lower-end sales means a larger % gets eaten up with fees. Hopefully, someone from BlackBerry will comment, since this really affects independent developers more than software companies.

Please use plain text.
Developer
davide13
My Device: Z10

I completely agree with you it's an incredible high percentage of fee for the independent developer.

*Like this post 

If this post is helpful, please click the "like" button! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Developer
nonesuchnick
My Device: Z10 LE

I also have to agree with this, these fees are uncalled for - and the worst part is, we have no choice.  Bango is the only merchant for Carrier billing on BB10.  Carrier billing is an important advantage of being in BlackBerry World and I wouldn't want to lose that payment option, but $6 is six copies of my app! And don't forget the fine print, that some settlements can require multiple PayPal transactions!  I really don't think it's fair for Bango to be taking the equivalent of 20% or more of my hard earned revenues just to get the funds to me.

This is on top of the fact that a) you don't get paid unless you've accrued more than $50 in sales, b) once they generate the invoice to pay you, it takes another 60 days for the payment to actually happen, c) there is no way to accurately verify they are even paying you the correct amount (lack of reconciled/consolidated reporting and invoicing).

Blackberry already has existing relationships with the carriers, and I don't see any value being added by Bango.  Why couldn't BlackBerry give Bango the boot and take over as the merchant for carrier billing, streamlining and improving the Vendor payment process for everyone?  This would probably increase Developer satisfaction more than any other change they could make.  I know I would be happier.

Nick

Learn to run and get in shape with Couch 2AnyK Pro, a Built for BlackBerry native Couch to 5K (C25K) app for BlackBerry 10, available in BlackBerry World.
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

Really need to justify this fee. Seems like a garbage fee like banks have for mortgage loans. In the day of electronic banking, there is no way it costs $6 to do an electronic transfer from a bank to PayPal. Is there a lawyer in the house? Does anyone know what bank they use? Could this be a wire fee?
Please use plain text.
Developer
KermEd
My Device: NA

I also am waiting for a way to opt-out from Bango purchases.

It may cost me money in the long run, but it is important for us to make some kind of stand.

Lets assume you are a small developer that just clears 50/month.

If you use PayPal:

You lose 30% off the top, plus 2% to all 'cost conversions', plus 12% for PayPal fees (that are 6x what PayPal advertises on their website)

End result:  Small developer pays Bango up-to 44%, keeping 26 of the 50 dollars they earned

If you use Direct Deposit:

You lose 30% off the top, plus 2% to all "cost conversions", plus 40% for Direct Deposit fees (most banks have free direct deposit these days)

End result:  Small developer pays Bangu up-to 72%, keeping 14 of the 50 dollars they earned

They justify the high paypal fees because they are making the small developers pay the same fees as a large developer, even though the actual paypal costs are different.  Effectively forcing small developers to subsidize the paypal costs for large developers.

I'd love to opt out.  I ran the stats this month - I brought in 925.90 in app sales through Bango.  And Bango paid me 577.65, pocketing about 38%.  Probably the worst part for me is knowing that BlackBerry approved the fee structure - knowing full well it is intended to penalize small developers.

Please use plain text.
Developer
davide13
My Device: Z10

You are not alone
If this post is helpful, please click the "like" button! :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Developer
adwiv
My Device: Not Specified

KermEd wrote:
I ran the stats this month - I brought in 925.90 in app sales through Bango.  And Bango paid me 577.65, pocketing about 38%.  Probably the worst part for me is knowing that BlackBerry approved the fee structure - knowing full well it is intended to penalize small developers.

How did you arrive at the value of 925.90 ? From the Blackberry sales reports or from the Bango Invoices?

Please use plain text.
Developer
KermEd
My Device: NA

[ Edited ]

Bango invoices, BlackBerry totals are split across three different store fronts (now 2).

BlackBerry hasnt given us a good way to validate what Bango see's from a grand overview

Please use plain text.
Developer
helex
My Device: Nokia N950 / BB Playbook

I would also love to see a proper way to analyse the sales data. The new charts at bango are nice, but since the most sales are happening via paypal and debit cards the most interesting stuff is happening at the vendor portal with the not so good charts.

And the export function doesn't help. It contains local currencies and I have no idea for how much a certain app was sold. :-/

Please use plain text.