Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Contributor
caneraltinbasak
My Device: Playbook

Change License Type

I've a paid app that has in-app purchases. I've initially launched it paid and from now on I want to distribute it free, but AppWorld help says, I need to create another app...

I think there is no harm in letting people change their app to "free" license from other license types.Blackberry can restrict "free" apps to change their license type to other types. So once its free, it is free...

That what Google Play is doing and I think, it makes sense.

Please use plain text.
Developer
damacon
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Change License Type

[ Edited ]

very strange and very silent change... It was possible to change license before, but suddenly RIM decided to prohibit this. Why? And why no announcement about this change?

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
rhearty
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: RIM

Hi guys,

This is correct - we do not allow Vendors to move their applications from Free<->Paid.  This was a change we made back in the Spring, and was communicated out accordingly. 

Depending on the the situation, Vendor Support can (and will) make the change for you.  What we are trying to prevent is Vendors constantly requesting their app be changed from Free<->Paid over and over.  This will cause problems with the user experience and degrade the applications performance on the store.

Have you contacted Vendor Support yet?  

Please use plain text.
Developer
damacon
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks Ryan, notified support
Please use plain text.
Contributor
caneraltinbasak
My Device: Playbook

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the reply. We have decided to have two applications, one paid and the other one free with slight differences. The free one is approved today, so it is too late for us. But if you update the documentation and tell the developers to get in contact with Vendor Support in case of license type change, I think you will save people from doing extra work. 

These are the documents that needs to be updated:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/40036/1282571.jsp

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/42850/mca1321650446859.jsp

NOTE: I think, paid-->free should be possible through interface. Once you set your app as "free", it shouldn't be possible to change it back to any other license type. This can prevent the abuse and makes life easier for developer.

Please use plain text.
BlackBerry Development Advisor
rhearty
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: RIM

Perfect, thanks for the feedback.

We'll have the documentation updated as soon as possible, and look into the possibilities of relaxing the restrictions currently in place. 

Please use plain text.