Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: lets say: I don't own CDMA Variants
My Carrier: T-Mobile Austria
Accepted Solution

Change price from free to paid

Hi,

we want to change our price from free to paid! Do people, who already downloaded the app (BlackBerry Smartphone App) have to pay the price?

- If yes - Is there a way to let them upgrade for free?

Kind regards

Peter

My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Change price from free to paid

Yes, they would be required to pay in order to get the upgrade.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Developer
My Device: Z10

Are you sure? If new price is X $ and upgrade price is 0 $, the upgrade should be free.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leader of Ljubljana BlackBerry Developer Group
BlackBerry Certified Builder for Native Application Development
Contributor

Is there a way to let them upgrade for free?

I have never changed the price from 0$ to 0.99$, but I always put upgrade price to 0$. And all upgrades are free. Tested personally.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

I don't know if this is fixed in the latest App World version, but (valid for App World 2.0) if you change the price from free to paid, users who have download the app as free won't be able to get any app upgrades untill they buy the app.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Does anyone know if it's fixed in App World 3.0?

My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Airtel

The users who have downloaded the app for free need to pay the X amount if they want to get the upgrade of the application.

But if you are just changing the price and not uploading the binary files, then only new users will be charged and already existing users can use the app for free as they are doing it now.

If you are upgrading the app with new features and uploaded the new binary file and changed the price, existing users will have to pay to download the updated version.

Note: This may attract negative reviews as most of the users except it to be free all the time! Smiley Happy

Intellect Dimensions
http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/vendor/3131/
Developer

OK. Let's say the app costs 1,99$.

For a special period the vendor lowers the price to 0,99$ and customers are purchasing it.

Later the price jumps back to 1,99$.

When the new upgrade arrives, as a customer I never paid for full price. Of course, upgrade price is set to 0$.

Am I wrong?

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Yes, you are right.

But in this case it is a change from free to paid (no matter the price), and App World (at least previous versions) couldn't handle this. For example you have downloaded the app as free, later the vendor changes it to paid. You cannot download the app again (for example when changing phones) and when the app gets updates, you will receive notification for the update but won't be able to download the update.

During the community insider event Alex Kinsela promised to fix this bug, but I have no idea if it is fixed. And of course I don't want to risk an app to test it Smiley Happy

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry