Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Changes in vendor portal (again)

Most of our apps are try and buy. How does RIM expect us to update the product if we cannot change the type? It seems like someone did not think this all the way thru. Addditionally, how does RIM expect us to provide trial versions? They mention to provide apps a subscription based with in-app purchases, but in-app purchases are more buggy and unable to properly test.
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

no try and buy means that they dropped the possibility of free trial? Smiley Surprised

they dropped the dynamic licensing method also?

Developer
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

Did not note that they removed the dynamic license as well (too focused on the removal of try and buy). I know people been having trouble with the dynamic license, but I also know people spent a fair amount of time setting that up. If you are going to eliminate a feature, I wish they would give *plenty* of notice and replace it with something better.
Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

Dynamic licensing is still there. You can still post your app as trial ("free") version, which expires in let's say 7 days and after that asks for a license key. Another option is to post the free and paid versions as separate apps.

Generally speaking RIM decided to remove options, which they weren't able to fix for ages - Try&Buy and switching from Free to Paid.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

QuiteSimple wrote:

Dynamic licensing is still there. You can still post your app as trial ("free") version, which expires in let's say 7 days and after that asks for a license key. Another option is to post the free and paid versions as separate apps.

Generally speaking RIM decided to remove options, which they weren't able to fix for ages - Try&Buy and switching from Free to Paid.

this is somewhat pleasing.

In any case I cannot understand people who complain about the "problem" using dynamic licensing.

It tooked me 20 minutes to setup a dynamic licensing process, and 1 hour to secure it.

The only things you need to do is to let your server listten for and http post, generate and activation code based on a device id (store the interesting data from http post on a database if you need it for financial/statistics/support reason) and than answer with an activation code. This isn't really difficult and I love this way of selling an app.

I have the complete control on who bought my software, this let me give my users a better support because I can access my database to know the history of my customers by simply knowing a device id, an email or a transaction id. It let me creates complex statistics of my sellings and it let me to automate my tax operation with a simple server side script. In addiction it let me use the same way of registration process on my official site.

I can sell my software on my site at a discounted price using the same .COD files and the same server side code.

All of this is not possible when you use some other sort of licensing like the Android LVL, not in this easy way at least and not in this efficient and "no failure" procedure.

I really loved RIM for dynamic licensing and I hope that other platforms will copy RIM in this.

Developer
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

If you have any saved reports in the Vendor portal, they are already gone.

Not a big deal actually, but still I love to discover new "improvements" every time I login

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: None yet

so, in their quest to be more Apple like, they are removing the things that actually made this a better portal. nice.