Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
dbigham
My Device: Z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: NA

Contacting App Reviewers

A couple of weeks ago I got a 0-star review from someone who said the app was crashing on startup. This was somewhat aggrivating because there was no way to contact the user to ask what handset they were using, etc. I ended up taking their username, searching Google, and amazingly I was able to find their email address which happened to be on a website. They were very happy to hear from me and we determined that their handset was not supported by my application.  To my amazement, even though I had released a new version a month or two previous which did not include their handset as a supported device, apparently App World still directs people with that handset to download an old version which was listed as supporting that device.  I didn't realize you can (and have to) edit the old release and uncheck the now unsupported device.

Anyway, I was able to resolve the issue with the user, she was happy, and she removed the 0-star review, which as you can imagine was causing my sales to be a fraction of what they were prior to the bad review.

But I got lucky in this case, finding having a way to contact the reviewer. Had I not been so lucky, my app may have been dead meat. (I realize you can Deny Reviews in app world, so at least there is some recourse that developers can take, but this isn't as nice a solution and what if your Deny request isn't approved?)

So back to my original question: Is there some means that I'm not aware of by which you can contact reviewers?

(As another example, a person requested a feature today in a review and I would love to email them and say, great idea, I'm going to add it to the app for you)

Please use plain text.
Developer
ITFCJim
My Device: Bold 9900 + Dev Alpha B + PlayBook
My Carrier: O2 UK

Re: Contacting App Reviewers

A great suggestion, this is so frustrating!

If we're not able to contact the reviewer directly, at least in the ISV Portal we should be able to see:

Phone Model

OS Version

At the moment all we get is Filebundle which is great as you can explicitly put the JRE version in the filebundle name at the time of release, but as people seem to refuse to click the "Report Issue / Contact Support" buttons in App World and would much rather leave a 0/1 star review saying "THIS IS BROKEN" which kills our sales, we need to know which device they're using so we've got some chance of reproducing the problem!

That would be a start. A contact form to enable us to contact the reviewer would be even better.

Phone Model is already in the pipeline to be included in the next version of the App World client - see thread here: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-App-World-Development/Issue-Report-system-request-...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help fellow forum users! Please remember to click "Like" on helpful posts.
If a post solves your problem click "Mark as solution"
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

dbigham wrote:
(I realize you can Deny Reviews in app world, so at least there is some recourse that developers can take, but this isn't as nice a solution and what if your Deny request isn't approved?)

On that question: has anyone ever had, or heard of, a Deny request being disallowed?

I'd be very curious to learn under what conditions this might happen.  Especially considering the number of completely justifiable, valid, serious and honest but highly negative comments which those guys with the "Offline GPS maps" apps for the PlayBook have managed to have denied.  With that going on, I'd be surprised to learn they ever rejected a Deny request for any reason.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

peter9477 wrote:

On that question: has anyone ever had, or heard of, a Deny request being disallowed?

Nope, "Deny review" always work. The best you can do is to post the negative review on Friday, so it stays visible at least till Monday.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Developer
NICK_312HOLDINGS
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: AT&T

I made this suggestion, along with several others regarding App World, to Alex Kinsella last week at DevCon.  I've also voiced my suggestions to several contacts at RIM over the past few weeks.  They've all agreed the suggestions were good and would try to improve the vendor/customer communication.  

Their biggest concern is protecting the customer's privacy, so I suggested that when a user leaves a review, they give them the option to check a box to "Allow the developer to contact me regarding my review."  Alex said maybe they can somehow create an anonymous communications system between us devs and the customer.  I guess it would be like a ticketing system where we don't see the user's personal info, but we have the ability to talk back and forth view posts.  

One of  the features they were talking about  adding, was when a customer leaves less than a 3 star review.  Instead of the review immediately being submitted, they would get a prompt asking if they would like to 1st contact the developer to resolve an issue.

I think either or both of these would be a tremendous improvement for us.

Please use plain text.
Developer
dbigham
My Device: Z10, PlayBook
My Carrier: NA

Hi Nick,

Thanks for communicating these things to the RIM team. Sounds like there are some good ideas floating around.

Please use plain text.
Developer
NICK_312HOLDINGS

Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

A prompt pointing them to a support email would be great. Every now and then I see a review, and I know exactlly how to fix their problem, but am unable to contact them to do so.

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

I have noticed something weird about the Provide Feedback button (which replaces the Contact Support button in App World 2.0). "Provide Feedback" is not visible unless you download/purchase the app. But this is not intuitive at all! You need to know where to watch to find this button. No wonder that users prefer to post negative reviews. In fact since the release of App World 3.0 my support request are quite few, before I had like 10 mails daily, now I get 1-2 per day (my apps didn't change at all).

I consider to write my support email in the apps descriptions.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Developer
NICK_312HOLDINGS

This was also addressed to Alex Kinsella when I met with him at DevCon.

Please use plain text.