Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

Coordinate new app release with updated BB World graphics?

Sorry if I missed this in the BB World documentation or the forums (I tried a few searches but didn't expect to come up w/good search terms for this issue anyway):

I think the answer is "no", but Is there a way to coordinate the updating of app graphics in BB World with the actual go-live date of a new version of an existing app?  If not, shouldn't there be?  If you do a major update to app graphics and/or functionality and these two events are not synced up, it could confuse users, who naturally will expect the actual app to look like the screenshots.

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810

Re: Coordinate new app release with updated BB World graphics?

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately the answer is NO, although we all have been crying for such functionality for ages.

What I usually do: I wait for release approval and after that I upload the new images/change the description. IMHO it is less harm doing this, user may be only pleasantly surprised :smileyhappy:

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

As QuiteSimple said, it's been on the request list for literally years.

Another step I've taken is a multi-stage "transaction" type of thing. Update the description with some extra info clearly marked "coming soon in next update" or whatever. Then submit and wait for the approval. Then update description to remove the "coming soon" part and by the time they approve that, the approved app will already have propagated through the system and be what they're downloading.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
UberschallSamsara
My Device: PlayBook, Z10 LE, Dev Alpha C

peter9477 wrote:

Another step I've taken is a multi-stage "transaction" type of thing. Update the description with some extra info clearly marked "coming soon in next update" or whatever. Then submit and wait for the approval. Then update description to remove the "coming soon" part and by the time they approve that, the approved app will already have propagated through the system and be what they're downloading.

That's a decent workaround for the text description.  Maybe for graphics we could make alternate versions of screenshots/app icons for the next update, stamped with a "Coming in release x.y.z" piece of diagonally oriented text, then swap out the alternate screenshots once the new version goes live.

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

UberschallSamsara, yes, I meant to note that although I'd never done this with the graphics, some sort of overlay like that would work there as well.

And if they see some extra work from having to approve masses of extra screenshots and description updates that are just working around this unsynchronized-release issue, they'd perhaps increase the priority of fixing the infrastructure to do this properly.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
mmd12
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Q10, Z10

Let me echo what QuiteSimple and peter9477 wrote.

Additionally, when adding and deleting screenshots, my experience has been that the deletions occur immediately and the additions require approval that takes time.  I recently replaced all of the screenshots on one of my apps and this resulted in no screenshots on BBWorld for a day.  Just something to keep in mind as you work around the problem.

Please use plain text.