Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
SangramPatil
My Device: BB10 Dev Aplha
My Carrier: -

Creating different versions for Z10 and Q10

Hi,

I must be missing some basics here and could not find relavant info and ran into following problem.

I have an application for BB10 and I want to create different versions for Z10 and Q10. What practise I should follow in order to sign the application?

I signed the apps with different App ID's for Z10 and Q10

I signed the Z10 version with following details in app xml:

<id>AppNameZ10</id>
<filename>AppName</filename>
<name>App Name</name>
<versionNumber>1.0.0</versionNumber>

and <buildId>1</buildId> in bar descriptor file.

I signed the Q10 version with following details in app xml:

<id>AppNameQ10</id>
<filename>AppName</filename>
<name>App Name</name>
<versionNumber>1.0.0</versionNumber>

and <buildId>1</buildId> in bar descriptor file.

The app was perfectly signed but I was not able to upload the bar file for Q10. It successfuly uploaded bar file for Z10 but when bar file for Q10 was uploaded, I got the following error message:

"File bundle (AppName.bar) has been rejected. Package ID is required for all .bar file. If this is an upgrade, Package ID must match Package ID in original file bundle."

I uploaded two diffrent file bundles using the 'Add filebundle' button in vendor portal with 1.0.0 as version number.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Developer
mmd12
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Q10, Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Creating different versions for Z10 and Q10

I think I understand what you're asking.

It's not intuitive, so don't feel alone.

You need to create two different versions with different version numbers (e.g. version 1.0.0.1 for the Z10 version and 1.0.0.2 for the Q10 version).  When you upload the bar files, choose the appropriate device for the appropriate version.

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

And use the same AppId for both versions

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Developer
SangramPatil

Sorry to confirm again, however is it tried way?

I already had signed the apps with two ids and will have to create another id now and hence wanted confirm.

And will it provide proper updates to users once installed and if I upload new version?
Please use plain text.
Developer
mmd12
My Device: Playbook, Dev Alpha C, Q10, Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Hmmm.

I don't want to confuse the situation, so let me just explain how I did it to a couple of my apps.

I want my app to run on the Playbook and Z10.  95% of the code is identical between the 2 versions, so in my source code (same project) I insert a flag so that it knows whether I'm compiling for the Playbook or the Z10.  I modify the code to check the flag and compile using the appropriate code.

I create the final bar file with the flag turned off (for the Playbook) and create version 1.0.0.0.  I then upload it to App World, and when I get to the area where I have to check off which device this is for, I check off Playbook.  I finish off what I need to do in the Vendor Portal for that submission and I'm done with the Playbook.

I then go back to the IDE and recompile the same project with the flag turned on (for the Z10) but I bump the version number when I create the bar file to 1.0.0.1.  So now I have 2 bar files for the same project but with different version numbers.  I go back to the Vendor Portal and choose to upload another version to the same product (this time I upload version 1.0.0.1).  When I do that, it will ask me which devices this version is for.  I check off Z10 and fiinsh the submission.

I now have 2 versions for the same product (1.0.0.0 and 1.0.0.1) in the vendor portal, but they are checked off for the Playbook (1.0.0.0) and the Z10 (1.0.0.1).

I hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Developer
SangramPatil

This is really helpful and thanks a lot.
Will sign with different versions and upload to portal.

But I guess, I won't upload two versions simultaneously even though there is provision, as it will assume same version number defined in portal.

I will have to upload and submit one and then another.
Please use plain text.
Developer
SangramPatil

Why don't Blackberry create an official knowledge article for this, or update the help of Vendor Portal!
Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha
My Carrier: Verizon

You need to have the same appID for each .bar file.

Technically they can also use the same version number. Just be carefull that you don't overwrite the .bar file...

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.
Contributor
RobC450
My Device: Playbook & Z10
My Carrier: Rogers / Thunder Bay Tel

That's a great explanation - thanks!!

I'm also supporting PlayBook & BB10 versions of an app and have spent many many hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. Separate uploads - why doesn't BB mention that?

I used version 3.2.0.0 for the Playbook and version 3.2.1.0 for the BB10.
So now I've got the updated PlayBook version uploaded to the app store and awaiting approval.

But I'm still unable to upload the BB10 version.
This is the error message I'm getting:
"File bundle (cror_signals_bb10.bar) has been rejected. Package ID is required for all .bar file. If this is an upgrade, Package ID must match Package ID in original file bundle."

I'm not out of the woods yet on this but I'm getting there.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

It is because PlayBook Package Id is generated (like "appname8f32bd9fbd230cf92a9d1da98a34"). Open -app.xml file, find the ID tag and use the same ID for your BB10 app in config.xml file. This should do the trick.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.