Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
silver20
My Device: Paper cup

Current refund policy?

Request clarification of App World's current refund policy.

Users keep buying one of my apps and then complaining that it doesn't have a particular feature, which is not possible on the platform and which I've explicitly said in the description is not possible.  Also, I've left some reviews that complained about that so other potential buyers will know.

When customers are dissatisfied with an app and it's their own fault for not reading the description, not any vendor negligence, misleading advertising, or technical flaw, do they get a refund?

I realize it's often best to honor refund requests, but it's also a fact that if you buy packaged software from a store it's non-refundable after opened, so why should e-commerce refund items that can't really be returned?  That would create a trend of getting a refund on buyer's remorse but then continuing to use the product for free.

Thank you

Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10

Re: Current refund policy?

I get alot of that too about I purchased this app but it isnt what I wanted can I get a refund?  I then tell them to contact DR or RIM support for the refund because we don't handle online processing and they get all mad and threatens to leave a bad review and vow to never purchase anymore apps from us.  so who is really fault here?

Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810

There is an official refund policy here:

http://us.blackberry.com/developers/appworld/faq.jsp

section 9b)

I tried to read it once but fell asleep. IMO as per that document users don't have the right to request a refund but I may misread the whole wall of text.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer
KenSalmon
My Device: Tour

Let's say you go to Best Buy and get a toaster for $100. Then decide you don't want the toaster for whatever reason...maybe it stared at you blankly when you expected it to make your morning coffee. You go back to Best Buy for a refund, you don't go to the manufacturer. The manufacturer doesn't have your $100. Whatever and whenever they get money from Best Buy, they get whatever Best Buy paid them, not what you paid Best Buy. They get, in this case, the wholesale price. Unless Best Buy is operating a loss leader, that's somewhat less than $100.

So if you, as a software developer, were to get involved in any way, shape, or form, with a refund transaction, what would you give back to the customer? What they paid for the app originally, or what App World (or Digital River, or a carrier, or Bango, or whoever) paid you? There's no need for you to be inolved in the transaction at all. You might want to be informed of it, which of course you are not. But you certainly don't need to be digging into your own pockets to refund 100% of a price that you got only 70% of, from somebody you can't identify (you didn't give anybody a receipt or an invoice), and by the way your 70% share won't be deposited in any of your accounts until at least a couple of months into the future anyway. And then maybe they'll just deduct it from some random future payment with no explanation. Somebody else is holding your money, and that somebody is responsible for refunds, if anybody at all is.

Our customers know nothing of that. App World/DRI/etc. doesn't make any of the mechanics obvious, to anybody, especially us.

Developer
gyubok
My Device: Bold 9900

I believe customers are requesting refund directly from RIM, not us. I've seen deduction in my payment from RIM which seems to be the total number of "refunds" which customers never requested. Can anyone confirm this? From another post, I saw someone report that the amount of deduction reached 70% but there is no valid reasoning for the deduction besides RIM giving out refunds. If this is the case, it is complete horse sh!t

----------------------------------------------------------
Twitter: @gyubok
Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10

gyubok wrote:

I believe customers are requesting refund directly from RIM, not us. I've seen deduction in my payment from RIM which seems to be the total number of "refunds" which customers never requested. Can anyone confirm this? From another post, I saw someone report that the amount of deduction reached 70% but there is no valid reasoning for the deduction besides RIM giving out refunds. If this is the case, it is complete horse sh!t

From my understanding RIM does not do refunds.  So it could be possible for the customer to request refund directly from digital river or visa/MC/Paypal.