Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
poornamelessme
My Device: Dev Alpha C
My Carrier: -
Accepted Solution

Dev Alpha B -- stuck with wifi setup

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this, so if not, apologies in advance.

I received my Alpha B, which I figure will be handy since I have apps to fix, and it'll be nice to see them on an actual device instead of the simulator. All was good until I tried to actually use the thing.

During setup, it seems to require a wifi connection, or it gets stuck. The screen says that this step can be skipped, but on mine it won't allow it. And for whatever reason, it won't pick up my wifi. I even tried two neighbors' open wifi connections... but nope, nothing.

Is there a way to bypass the wifi connection? I just want the thing to test my own apps (assume using a usb will suffice for this)... I could care less about using it as an actual device w/wifi. And any idea why it's having a problem picking up wifi? Mine (not sure if all do this) won't show what wifi signals are even present.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
maxxx557
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: E-Plus

Re: Dev Alpha B -- stuck with wifi setup

Try to update the OS as described on the website you can lookup on the flyer you got with your dev alpha.

I tried 4 Wifi networks manualy, with the new version there is also the possibility to scan for networks...

Please use plain text.
Developer
poornamelessme

Thanks, I originally tried that, but using the normal update process kept telling me that I needed to set up my dev alpha first ... which was impossible since wifi couldn't be set up ... a catch 22.

I just now used the autoloader method, and all seems good now. Wifi worked on my first try.

This is so much nicer than relying on the simulator. I can actually see how things will look ... before it felt like I was working blind.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
vbovio
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: None

I have the same problem, glad I found this post! (I posted about the problem here), will try autoloader method..

BovioSoft Games
Please use plain text.
Developer
poornamelessme

What is the best way to actually test our apps on this thing?

I'm trying to get webworks to set it up for launch, got it hooked up via usb, put it in developer mode, got the IP set up... but it ain't launching my app inside Ripple. Or am I making this more complicated than need be? Is there an easier way to simply transfer signed bars to it?

Please use plain text.
Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Vip

Use this https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/playbook-app-manager/kmbaalodpmjjhpobkgljnelbpblnikkp?hl=e...

maybe it's the easiest way to deploy apps to PB/Dev Alpha devices, although I prefer command-line tools.
Please use plain text.
Developer
nemoryoliver
My Device: BB10 Simulator
My Carrier: Globe Telecom

I got that problem too. But I solved it

I got that problem too. But I solved it with this:

1. Download https://developer.blackberry.com/native/downloads/fetch/Autoload-DevAlpha-10.0.09.1675.exe
  2. Turn Off Device
  3. Connect Device to PC
  4. Run Autoloader.exe

Then wait. and you're good to go. I hope this helps.

The steps are also here:

https://developer.blackberry.com/blackberry10devalpha/devalpha_update.html

Please use plain text.
Developer
poornamelessme

@

Wow, thanks. That is perfect... exactly what I wanted.

Do you know if it accepts unsigned apps too (I expect not), unless it is set up for debugging? It works great with signed apps.

Please use plain text.
Developer
borceg
My Device: BlackBerry PlayBook 16GB
My Carrier: Vip

First deploy debug token then your unsigned build (debug build signed with that debug token) with same tool. It's awesome :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
vbovio
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: None

I used autoloader and worked, the dev alpha B works great! :smileyhappy:

BovioSoft Games
Please use plain text.