Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Developer
bbd01
My Device: Not Specified

Devices to test on

Hi,

We are new to BlackBerry development and have a few questions.  Firstly, the simulators seem to be really advanced and testing works well on them.  Is there any real need to purchase a number of different real devices for testing?

Also, if you were going to buy one or more devices to test on, which do you think would be ideal?  I've been trying to find numbers about market share but I'm not coming up with anything solid.  We could go ahead and buy a Storm, but if only a few people are using these because they are new, then that doesn't make too much sense.

Is it really worth supporting every device that App World can run on?  Is there still a lot of people using the Pearl which was released almost 3 years ago?  Again, I guess this goes back to market share numbers, which I can't seem to find!

Anyway, if someone is a bit more experienced that myself on these matters could have a go at answering those questions, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Developer
Nelvin

Re: Devices to test on

About 5% or our AppWorld sales are for the Pearl.

But please note that we don't have huge sales numbers so others may see very different results.

Please use plain text.
Developer
eaoliver
My Device: 7230, 8700, 8820, 9000

I'm seeing about:

10% Perl

15% Curve

15% 8800

15% 8900

20% Bold

25% Storm

You should really buy a mix of devices for your last round of testing.

Earl

Earl Oliver
Please use plain text.
New Developer
bbd01

Is there even any way to test a device like the Storm without a service plan?  Somehow it seems BlackBerry left off Wifi, which I simply couldn't believe at the beginning, but that seems to be the case.

If I have a app that requires a network connection, how do I test such a device?

Please use plain text.