Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Dynamic Licensing: RIM_APP_WORLD_LICENSE_KEY is not getting populated on Blackberry OS 4.2

I am using dynamic license in my application and it is working on OS 4.5. After installing my application from blackberry appworld on OS 4.5, it see RIM_APP_WORLD_LICENSE_KEY is populated in the corresponding CodeModuleGroup.

When I retry the same download from blackberry appworld on OS 4.2, the RIM_APP_WORLD_LICENSE_KEY is not populated in the corresponding CodeModuleGroup. Has anybody faced this issue? Is there any work around for this issue.

Thanks,

Sushil.

Developer

Re: Dynamic Licensing: RIM_APP_WORLD_LICENSE_KEY is not getting populated on Blackberry OS 4.2

Yes indeed. The CodeModuleGroup functionality was added/updated at 4.3. Before that is a problem.
New Developer
New Developer

Re: Dynamic Licensing: RIM_APP_WORLD_LICENSE_KEY is not getting populated on Blackberry OS 4.2

I found this sample, but am having trouble verifying without access to an App World test site.  running it on a device that hasn't ever connected to App World 4.2.2 just gets nulls from the CodeModuleGroup.getProperty("ONE_OF_THE_KEYS") method.

// On 4.2 you would need to use the following:

CodeModuleGroup group = null;
        if( myAppName != null ) {
            CodeModuleGroup[] groups = CodeModuleGroupManager.loadAll();
            if( groups != null ) {
                for( int i = 0; i < groups.length; ++i ) {
                    if( groups[ i ].containsModule( myAppName ) ) {
                        group = groups[ i ];
                        break;
                    }
                }
            }
        } else {
            myAppName = "unknown";
    	}

Developer

This is good to know. 

Related question, since my app (which isn't yet out) will need to run right back to 4.2:   what is the mechanism for the user to get the key from the AppWorld program?  I do have a server delivering dynamic keys successfully, and my app does have a field for entering keys, but I'd like to know what the user will actually see/do.  They're in AppWorld, press Buy, the thing downloads and my server sends AppWorld the key.  How does the user get that key since they'll need to enter it?  I've never had an app show me a key after purchase.

Thanks,

Jim

Developer
My Device: 8700 | 8310 | BOLD | STORM

kalafut,

If you follow the code above, you would never have to present the key entering screen to the user as it will happened programmatically.  I check to see if the key is available using similar code above and I see if it's valid and if so, the game presents a message saying it's been validated. But if it does not validate for some reason (maybe the user purchased the app from a different place), then I present them with the screen to manually enter the key.

But to answer your question, the key is presented to the user after they purchase the game.  The screen instructs the user to copy the key because you need it for the application and there's actually a copy button to copy it to the clipboard. You'll still get customers sending you emails saying they didn't get a key, though.

Also, if customers misplace the key, they can always go back to MyWorld or just search for the application they downloaded again and the key is now displayed along with the app.

Good Luck.