Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Dynamic Licensing for Android Apps

I have BB7 apps in App World and for those I have always used Dynamic Licensing. Frankly, the other license schemes are a joke. 

I have now ported one of them to Android and I would also like to adapt that version to BB10. i.e. Android Dalvik on Blackberry.

How do you link an Android app to BB World Dynamic Licensing? I can't find any documentation. 

Thanks

Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: Dynamic Licensing for Android Apps

As far as I know, there's no support for those licensing schemes on BB10, using Android or any other SDK.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Developer

So how then does one protect their intellectual property on BB World? 

With the BB7 apps, I already dealt with pirates downloading, nullifying, and reposting my apps on the Internet. So there is no way I will put an app into the wild with a static license. That's just too easy to pirate... 

I can't believe people are comfortable with that. There must be some Best Practices for protecting them better than that. No?

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

The following blog explains a bit around the security implemented in PlayBook (and BlackBerry 10) to help prevent piracy. From BBOS to BB10 there have been major improvements made to how app distribution is done and how the app itself is secured on the device.

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2012/05/blackberry-tablet-os-piracy-protection/

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Developer

Thanks but that post doesn't really answer my question.

As far as I can tell, importing an Android app to Blackberry 10, there is no mechanism for the application to verify with App World that the application has been licensed by the user. On BBOS, there was Dynamic licensing. But how does one do that with an Android app?

My understanding is that the Static licensing models really have no way to protect the apps from the malicious users. e.g. on BBOS, the run the app on the simulator and use winhex to discover and nullify the Dynamic licensing code. With a Static License, you might as well just give the app away for free.

Am I missing something? Again, the context is that of an Android app running on BB10/BlayBook.

Retired

As mentioned by Peter, licensing is not supported at the app level on BlackBerry 10. My last post explains the security precautions in place to prevent piracy ob apps using PlayBook or BlackBerry 10.

If you have specific security concerns with how BlackBerry 10 handles app distribution where you feel your app may be compromised, please let me know.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!
Developer

[ Edited ]

Another angle on the issue maybe...

Does the Dynamic Licensing flow work the same way with BB10/PlayBook as it did with BBOS? i.e. if the user buys the software, BB App World calls my server with the user's PIN to request a key? i.e. if I want to verify the license on an Android app, I can have the app querry my licensing server directly? And if the PIN is there, I can issue the key from there?

Can the Android app access the PIN? Does BB10/PlayBook still use a PIN? Or at least whatever unique identifier App World uses to request the key? App World was always pretty hit and miss on key installation anyway.

I read the part about all BB10 apps using a Static license. But if App World can still make the call to my server and if the Android app can get the PIN, then it could all work out nicely. 

On that note, if I post the Android/BB10 app under the same "app name" as my BBOS app, can my users get the free upgrade to their new BB10 phone? That would be convenient.

Thanks

Retired

precisionpete wrote:

On that note, if I post the Android/BB10 app under the same "app name" as my BBOS app, can my users get the free upgrade to their new BB10 phone? That would be convenient.

Thanks

Yes, that would work.

Dynamic licensing for BlackBerry 10 apps is being deprecated all round. Today the purchase should still trigger a request to your server, but that will be removed in the not-too-distant future.

Garett
@garettBeuk
--
Goodbye everybody!