Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Finding the True north value or magnetic north value

I am trying to build a compass application in which I want to show the north pole direction in non touch screen device like curve and bold device how can I do that can any one help me

I saw the Orientation class but it always gives me null value what can I do for that

Developer

Re: Finding the True north value or magnetic north value

I don't believe any BlackBerrys have a compass builtin as (I believe) does the iPhone.

In which case I doubt it's possible to get a value for magnetic north (though I'd be interested if there was a way).

In order to function correctly without a compass you'd have know the orientation of the device (vertically, horizontally etc) and so far as I'm aware that isn't possible.

The GPS API does provide a course value based on multiple GPS readings but that's as close as I've found.

Regular Contributor

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devjournals/resources/journals/jan_2006/blackberry_gps.jsp

please refer this link for more information. In this they have the orientation class to find the orientation but when i tried i am getting the value some times true north and some time i am getting the magnetic north. i don't know what is happening

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Mark can you help how to do that for both non touch screen device and touch screeen device.

Developer

krishnan8727 wrote:
In this they have the orientation class to find the orientation but when i tried i am getting the value some times true north and some time i am getting the magnetic north. i don't know what is happening

What device and OS are you using to test ?

Regular Contributor

The tour device 9630 and curve 8300 using the os 4.5