Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Regular Contributor
krishnan8727
My Device: Not Specified

Finding the True north value or magnetic north value

I am trying to build a compass application in which I want to show the north pole direction in non touch screen device like curve and bold device how can I do that can any one help me

I saw the Orientation class but it always gives me null value what can I do for that

Please use plain text.
Developer
br14

Re: Finding the True north value or magnetic north value

I don't believe any BlackBerrys have a compass builtin as (I believe) does the iPhone.

In which case I doubt it's possible to get a value for magnetic north (though I'd be interested if there was a way).

In order to function correctly without a compass you'd have know the orientation of the device (vertically, horizontally etc) and so far as I'm aware that isn't possible.

The GPS API does provide a course value based on multiple GPS readings but that's as close as I've found.

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
krishnan8727

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devjournals/resources/journals/jan_2006/blackberry_gps.jsp

please refer this link for more information. In this they have the orientation class to find the orientation but when i tried i am getting the value some times true north and some time i am getting the magnetic north. i don't know what is happening

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
krishnan8727

Mark can you help how to do that for both non touch screen device and touch screeen device.

Please use plain text.
Developer
adwiv

krishnan8727 wrote:
In this they have the orientation class to find the orientation but when i tried i am getting the value some times true north and some time i am getting the magnetic north. i don't know what is happening

What device and OS are you using to test ?

Please use plain text.
Regular Contributor
krishnan8727

The tour device 9630 and curve 8300 using the os 4.5

Please use plain text.