Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
monkeypunch
My Device: Playbook

First Impressions on App World

Hi, I'm glad to be part of the community! 

Here are my first impressions on App World.

Pros
• Clean and slick design and animation

• promo apps section

• Like that I can slide up to view more apps

• Like the header navigation (featured - apps - games - my world)

• ...standard features

Cons or Feature Requests

• When you do a search there is no back button

• The sub sections (newest - top free - top paid - recent updates) only show 25 titles. I would expect to be able to see more results through a paging system or continual populate as you scroll down

• No way to set the results per page in the sections or in the search results (10 - 25 - 50 or 100, etc)

• Apps you already have installed are included in the apps search or section results (I would expect them to be excluded or marked as already installed)

• On the app detail page I would expect to see download or install count. In a way this may be only of interest if it is significant or possibly as a developer preference.

• I would expect to be able to click on the app author / developer and see what other apps they have

• The description on the app detail page needs to have the linebreaks removed (replace the double line breaks with a single line break)

• On the app detail page I'd expect to be able to zoom in to the screen shots

• On the support pop up I'd expect to be able to email the developer through a form or at least for now be able to copy the email address to the clipboard

• When installing a new app sometimes it shows the green busy indicator / downloading bar but never finishes. Restarts don't seem to help. Disabling and enabling the wifi might have been the solution.

• I would expect to be able to see more than 1 initial reviewer comments and more than 5 when expanded.

• Not trying to be picky but the background alpha of the tile list should be more opaque to focus more on the apps. The image behind it is too pretty (distracting in my opinion).

• When you click on the top sections (Apps - Games) you are shown sub sections like business - education - finance, etc. You are then shown more sub sections and more sub sections before you get to see any apps. I would expect to click on the main category, for example, "Business" and then see all apps in that category. Then if you want to filter down that category you'd be able to select "Business Tools", "Data Collection", etc. Or simply add an "All" sub category.

• Add a send [app details] to friend (email, sms, etc) on the app detail page

• In the my world section there is a installed and uninstalled views. In the uninstalled views it shows two programs that I've uninstalled but can reinstall. I would expect to be able to be able to remove them completely.

Thanks for listening if you've read this far :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

Re: First Impressions on App World

Judging by your "My Device" entry, and the content of the post, you're talking about the PlayBook App World client, right? (This forum would apply to the phones and web version as well, so just checking...)

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
monkeypunch
My Device: Playbook

That's true. Would there be a more appropriate forum?
Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10

If it's a development-related question, then no, this is the one and only development-related App World forum and either phone or PlayBook stuff goes here.

On the other hand, I just skimmed it again and don't see anything developer-related. If it's just comments from a user perspective, then even if you are a developer this particular discussion probably belongs here instead: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-App-World-General/bd-p/appworld

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
Ebscer
My Device: 9530, 9630, 9800, 8530, 9900, 9810, 9930, PlayBook, Dev Alpha

I would agree with most of the suggestions here. When I first got my dad his PlayBook, after browsing through the top 25 games his first question was "How do I see the next 25 games?"

Read my thoughts on BlackBerry Development at news.ebscer.com
Please use plain text.