Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Developer
Fixx42
My Device: BlackBerry Playbook

For Reference: Free Playbook Offer Timeline and Approval Experiences

Hello all, I figured it might be helpful to put together a post with our experiences regarding what our timelines were for getting apps approved/qualified, getting the shipping details email, and then getting the actual Playbook, as well as the sorts of apps that we got approved.  It might be of interest to anyone still awaiting approval, as well as anyone pursuing a similar offer in the future (since RIM has run this promotion twice now, hopefully they'll do it again).  Feel free to suggest anything that you all think should be added, or anything that I might have gotten wrong.

Here's what the timeline looked like from my perspective:

- Feb 3: Free Playbook promotion goes live

- Feb 4: I requested a vendor account.

- Feb 6: A fellow developer submitted an app

- Feb 7: I received approval for a vendor account.

- Feb 8: Fellow developer got his app approved

- Feb 11: Fellow developer was notified that he would be receiving a free Playbook, shipping details requested.

- Feb 12: I submitted my app.

- Feb 13: This was the original deadline for app submission, but RIM extended the deadline on this day to March 2nd (as long as you applied for a vendor account by Feb 15).

- Feb 15: Deadline for requesting a vendor account in order to qualify for the free Playbook.

- Feb 29: I received approval for my app.

- March 2: I was notified that I would receive a free Playbook, shipping details requested.

As you can see (and this is geared towards anyone completing a similar promotion in the future), my fellow developer (someone who I read about on the Slickdeals forums) who submitted his app in advance of the deadline got approved much faster.  As the deadline approached, RIM got pretty bogged down and the wait for approval/qualification went from a few days to over a week.  So if you can, submit sooner rather than later!  That said, many of the folks who got early approval got bogged down anyway by Playbook shipping delays, which RIM claimed to have resolved by Feb 28.  At one point, the delay on being notified that your app had qualified for a free Playbook also seemed to stretch to five days or so. 

Here are a few apps that I've heard of being approved, to give you an idea of whether or not your app will meet RIM's definition of being "in reasonable demand:"

- My app: The Sprint Start Trainer.  It's meant to help sprinters train by simulating the "Ready, set, *bang*" of a sprint start, with a delay of random length between the word "set" and the pistol shot. It also measures your reaction time based on how long after the shot you lifted your finger from the screen.

- My fellow developer's app: "My application was to assist new shooters with the Appleseed Project familiarize themselves and practice the AQT. Involves both timers and recorded audio sequences."

- Another app that got approved: "A small memory game- has a menu screen, then 3 sub-games (4 Activities in total). Two of them are memory-based games that use playing cards, and the third is another memory game where you tap on lights in a certain order, recalling the order from memory. Graphics are fairly good-looking, not great but not totally lame. It's a decent app, simple but it looks finished, and the three game modes fill it out fairly well. It has high scores, game options, difficulty settings, etc."

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Like this post if you like it!
"Developer of apps. Consumer of humus."
Please use plain text.
Developer
falo
My Device: PlayBook
My Carrier: 3

Re: For Reference: Free Playbook Offer Timeline and Approval Experiences

Good call. I'll add my stats once I get my approval (including the lag time from when I saw the deadline had been extended so I slacked off a bit). Might be worth including the point at which they thought they had ramped up people to deal with the demand (and am I imagining seeing a post at some point that said they had done all approvals for submissions up to the 11th?).
-------
You can find me (sporadically) writing and developing at http://floor4.co.uk and gaming at http://uk-tf.co.uk
My Apps: Flip!
Please use plain text.
Developer
falo

Dates so far for reference:
Vendor Request: 4th Feb
ID Sent: 5th Feb
Vendor Approval: 8th Feb
Submission: 19th Feb
"First Step" Mail: 21st Feb
Waiting for Test House: 22nd Feb
Approval: 7th March
-------
You can find me (sporadically) writing and developing at http://floor4.co.uk and gaming at http://uk-tf.co.uk
Please use plain text.
Contributor
dweinberger
My Device: n/a

Great idea. I was planning on doing this once I received my device but that hasn't happened yet.
Please use plain text.
Developer
falo

Any chance a mod could sticky this thread so that we don't keep getting 50 of the same topics posted?
-------
Please use plain text.
New Developer
Fixx42

That would sound good to me!  I've always wanted to have one of my threads stickied.

Also for reference, after sending my shipping details on March 2, I got an email with tracking information yesterday, March 8.  That said, I think that may have been a little faster than most others, there were some factors in my contact with TMG Ideas that may have influenced the shipping speed.

Please use plain text.
Developer
AnishA
My Device: Playbook

Hey bro :smileyhappy:

when did u receive the playbook?

Please use plain text.
New Developer
adamleaf8601
My Device: Blackberry Playbook 16GB

What are the factors?

Please use plain text.
Developer
AnishA
My Device: Playbook

OFF TOPIC. Hi guys are you working because i am a 12 year old and my 12 year old bro made this app appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/89452/?lang=EN 

is it any good, so far it includes stopwatch, timer(with update coming soon), a huge converter app and more! 

please tell me if it is any good

Please use plain text.
New Developer
Fixx42

So because I had some issues with TMG ideas, they were good enough to overnight my Playbook to me. It arrived on Friday March 9.

At any rate, it's a great piece of hardware. I was concerned that the 7 inch screen would be too small, but it's great. 

Please use plain text.