Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
silver20
My Device: Paper cup

Free vs. Paid - license type is now permanent?

[ Edited ]

Apparently now an app is locked-in as either Free or Paid, keyed or un-keyed.  You can change the price, but not the license type.

In the future apparently we'll have to submit 2 separate versions or contact support if we want to experiment with whether something makes more as free (promoting other apps) or paid.

Developer
TheFlowFX
My Device: Playbook 16GB

Re: Free vs. Paid - license type is now permanent?

Wow your right. I just checked for myself and what a bummer! :Yawn:

Im pretty sure there was no need for that. Now I have to put in extra effort by adding a new release if I wish to put my app on sale. 

Regards,

Dissapointed Vendor

If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

If you think you might charge later, than they shoud allow a $0.00 paid option.
Developer
silver20
My Device: Paper cup

MobiHand did the same thing for a while (required us to contact support to change license model), the reason given was too many support requests from customers due to the changes.  Eventually they went back to letting devs change it on their own, probably because there were then tons of C.S. requests from developers instead of customers.

Maybe it has something to do with exploits, some have suggested that certain developers get apps to the top by publishing them free for a long time, getting a zillion reviews and users, and then switching to paid and doing an upgrade.

Contributor
rainingsonic
My Device: Torch

WE DONT LIKE THIS CHANGE!!!

Why does RIM want to make developer's life difficult?   **bleep** off devlopers means abandoing BB platform!

Developer
adwiv
My Device: Not Specified

silver20 wrote:

In the future apparently we'll have to submit 2 separate versions or contact support if we want to experiment with whether something makes more as free (promoting other apps) or paid.

Its a quick way to double the appcount on app world :-)

BTW android already does it this way. However, they should have notified the developers before making such a fundamental change.

Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810

Sigh... I have complained for so long about issues when switching from free to paid... Now all issues are solved!

I guess the next step is: we upload our apps and BB App World server decides if the app deserves to be paid and how much it should cost.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Developer
adwiv
My Device: Not Specified

And then how much it should sell :-)

Man they are already doing it with their UDS 10k per app offer on BB10 :smileyvery-happy:

Developer
mapleleafs90
My Device: Bold 9780

Wtf is this. So if we have a promotion to make our app free for a week, we need to delete it - lose our reviews and then add a free version.. 

Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10

[ Edited ]

They should provide a $0.00 option to resolve this. Before RIM makes major changes like this, I dont know why they dont ask the people who it will impact the most -- the developers. For paid apps, we are paying RIM to provide a quality store front (30%). You would thnk we would have some say into that store front, especially when RIM will not allow any alternatives. If you are going to be the only option, then it better be the best the market can provide. If you are going to provide features that restricts the developer to decide in how their product is sold, then you should back off the 30% cut.