Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

Developer
smiley
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Fido

Re: Free vs. Paid - license type is now permanent?

I think this is good because most devs have already included a separate trial version.

Also this eliminates cheaters like Droid mobile where they release the app for free and then magically have 1000s of 5 star rating and then they switch to paid to get on the top of the list.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

@smiley: Trial versions are no longer supported BTW.
Please use plain text.
Developer
silver20
My Device: Paper cup

[ Edited ]

smiley wrote:

Also this eliminates cheaters like Droid mobile where they release the app for free and then magically have 1000s of 5 star rating and then they switch to paid to get on the top of the list.

Do you really think it will stop people who have figured out that it's marketing not superiority that makes money?

There was more to that than just making it free.  I've made lots of apps free and there are few reviews.

Please use plain text.
New Developer
Thogek
My Device: 9810, PlayBook
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

I happened across this thread searching for help with this same issue, so for anyone else who might do the same...

According to https://developer.blackberry.com/devzone/appworld/choose_a_license_type.html, app vendors can submit the vendor support form to request a license-type change from free to paid or vice versa.  (Has anyone actually tried and had success with this?)

Seems like more trouble than it should be to make such a simple change, but at least there does appear to be a workaround for vendors who want to do so.  :-/

Please use plain text.
Contributor
rick_b_9800
My Device: 9800 Torch
My Carrier: Airtel

Hi Thogek,

You can not make a Free App paid or a Paid App Free! Period! There is no way to do so. If Rim starts taking such requests then it would be a shame on their part cause these copy cat vendors might do the same thing and there is no way you can identify anyone to be a copycat or a genuine vendor until that person shows his true colors. I guess this would be helpful for everyone of us if RIM keeps it the current way

Please use plain text.
Developer
peter9477
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

rick_b_9800, odd that you'd write it that way given that Thogek is correctly pointing out an explicit statement from RIM in the documentation which says you CAN request a change.

Are you saying that you have positive knowledge that this documentation is incorrect?

Anyway, Thogek, I'll just note that the docs say only "request a license change from free to paid" and not the other way around. You said "or vice versa" but it doesn't seem that's necessarily true.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Please use plain text.
Developer
swactonp
My Device: playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

what a bummer!  Looks like they followed google play

Please use plain text.
Developer
QuiteSimple
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: WiFi

You can request a change from free to paid or vice versa, but this will be for sure one time request (the vendor help team won't do it for you three times a week for sure). In the past a vendor could change it whenever he/she wants, but unfortunately it causes a lot of issues with payments, downloads etc. For good or bad it is already history.

"When you become a level 3 developer, you learn to communicate over the ether. I'm told that level 5 developers are ascend into a higher level of existence beyond the physical realm." gord888 @ crackberry
Please use plain text.
Contributor
rick_b_9800
My Device: 9800 Torch
My Carrier: Airtel

Hi Peter, I don't have any kind of knowledge about the documentation being incorrect/ correct. I just know that for an average developer like me its good. It ensures a fair market!
Please use plain text.