Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Contributor
mikafi
My Carrier: ?

Has BlackBerry Completely Dropped The Ball?

[ Edited ]

So I have understood that Blackbery as a company is trying to make a comeback of a sort. One of the key challenges obviously is how well they are able to build an "ecosystem" around their devices and developer support should be one of key enablers for this. I think every single industry analyst agrees to this very point. So looking at this from a "strategy perspective", one should expect pretty good developer experience when dealing with Blackberry as of today especially. Or then operations performance does not meet goals set in strategy.

Before I have my occasional Friday morning coffee with Mr. Heins (meh), let me share my experience on Blackberry developer support over the last months and how I personally feel this is linked with their strategy and the comeback initiative. Because at least I am indeed very puzzled about this.

My app #1 for Blackberry Playbook has now been pending for review for 45 days and counting.

My app #2 for Blackberry Playbook has now been pending for review for 31 days and couning.

Apple reviews everything in constant 7 days review time.

To my understanding, Apple is a key competitor for Blackberry especially in the U.S. market, please do correct my if I'm wrong. :smileyhappy: Apple is one of the market leaders and Blackberry is trying to make a comeback and win (back) marketshare from Apple. How come then Blackberry's application review time can be 45+ days versus competitors' 7 days, then, when developer support enables stronger ecosystem which enables competitiveness?

In your blackberrian minds, you may have silently answered that previous question something like "hey, it's Playbook, we have moved on ages ago, look at Z10 and BB10 and forget that old PB thingy". While I can understand, and probably my fellow developers agree, that priority currently for Blackberry is to ensure as successful launch of new BB10 devices as possible, so I am not asking the review times for PB content to match those of BB10 content. But please do understand this: you cannot forget developers like this. You should be looking at converting PB devs to BB10 devs and continue their customer relationship with you, prevent them from being sucked in the Apple world and Android galaxies. Now you do the opposite: you do everything you can to mess up these relationships and make sure that these people, facing 45+ days review times, no email support, no pre-communication of huge lead times, will have yet again slightly easier choice to spend their valuable time in doing things for Apple and Android ecosystems.

And talking about BB10, those review times also measure in weeks currently rather than days, so the PB aspect here is not even a poor excuse, it's a terrible excuse.

Developing apps is not cheap. I can not wait for eternity for that content to be reviewed and finally submitted to the store. If Blackberry completely fails in their operations, at least they should have the courage to inform developers BEFORE, pro-actively, via email saying that, "hey, if you are thinking of investing significant amount of development time to Playbook, you may want to re-think your plans as we have massive delays in our app approval process and cannot give you any ETAs for your apps go-live date. It may take a year or an eternity, we don't know." At least I have not received this type of communication. So I went to make that investment, developed apps, and now I have been left alone, email support not answering etc... official Twitter channel tries to keep the scene shiny and bombards me with hype messages after another: "don't you just love to be a BB10 developer?", "how many apps have you developed already for BB10?", "take a look how easy it is to develop for BB10", how wonderful, amazing, cool and lovely just everything really is!

Now I hear some blackberrian say that "we have thousands of apps in queue, and the team is working as hard is they can!". This is not really an answer. This is just a cute way of re-stating the original problem, which is under resourcing this critical part of business operations. Critical, again, because it's directly linked to the strategy and the comeback initiative of the company, to which every industry analyst would agree. So if there are thousands of apps in the queue, this is not the cause, this is an effect. Hire more people. That is a solution.

So at least to me, this all does make very little sense when looking the big picture and how this type of turnaround company should behave. I would understand it better if this was Apple who'd have these massive failures in their developer support, because they have SO MUCH MONEY that they could become arrogant. So in a way, it would be more logical for Apple to have 10 times longer review times than you, who are fighting for your lives as an ecosystem and trying to avoid being just another OEM for Google or Microsoft with 2% profit margins. But this situation as of now is just totally other way around and hence crazy.

Please at least start answering emails and give some honest ETAs...

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,756
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Has BlackBerry Completely Dropped The Ball?

mikafi wrote:

In your blackberrian minds

It really seems you're speaking "down" to anyone where who chooses to read this post. You use that term a couple of times and your wording is from an arrogant tone. That's not a great way to start out, first post in the forums, where you're asking for help.

Now, 30 and 45 days waits are not ideal, not perfect, and (I don't speak for BlackBerry or the Dev Relations team) certainly not what they've intended or hoped for.

But, I will say, that if you become a part of this developer community, seek help in these forums here, and add a pinch of humility, you might get much more help, answers and responses.

Good luck, hope you're bringing some winner apps!

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen

@mikafi: If you have been developing for the PlayBook over the last year or so, then you will know that these delays are not typical.

I'm not certain what you are saying that has not been said in hundred or more other threads. "App reviews are taking too long", "where is my money", "how come I cannot get an answer from an actual BlackBerry employee", "where is my free phone", "how come I dont get respect", "on platform ABC, they do XYZ".
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mikafi

JSanders wrote:

It really seems you're speaking "down" to anyone where who chooses to read this post. You use that term a couple of times and your wording is from an arrogant tone. That's not a great way to start out, first post in the forums, where you're asking for help.

Now, 30 and 45 days waits are not ideal, not perfect, and (I don't speak for BlackBerry or the Dev Relations team) certainly not what they've intended or hoped for.

But, I will say, that if you become a part of this developer community, seek help in these forums here, and add a pinch of humility, you might get much more help, answers and responses.

Good luck, hope you're bringing some winner apps!

I have asked helped for many times via email in a polite manner. My last emails have not been answered at all. I also think that the company is making illogical business decisions and I provided sound argumentation for that. Yes, my message was written in a certain style to get at least some response instead of none as has been the case lately. I feel that I'm entitled to be disappointed here and don't see a reason to hide it in this situation.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
mikafi

[ Edited ]

jtegen wrote:
@mikafi: If you have been developing for the PlayBook over the last year or so, then you will know that these delays are not typical.

I'm not certain what you are saying that has not been said in hundred or more other threads. "App reviews are taking too long", "where is my money", "how come I cannot get an answer from an actual BlackBerry employee", "where is my free phone", "how come I dont get respect", "on platform ABC, they do XYZ".

Yes, I know that this type of massive failure of app review process and developer communications is not typical. God knows where the company would be today if this was "business as usual"...

I'm not seeking to report anything unique that has not been posted before. I'm simply giving my own point of view (which, of course, can be freely agreed or disagreed by other people as they wish based on their own experiences). But in general, if customers who experience terrible service would all think that "probably someone else has already reported this so I don't bother", this would actually lead to lower service standards/quality because very few or no-one would actually say anything. It's important that feedback is given.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

mikafi, we can only judge by your post here. We have no knowledge of any emails.

This is a community. You've asked for no help here. Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
mb1

@mikafi, I can empathise with your experience about delays, lacks of responses etc. and admire your guts to post this message in a public forum, frequented by BB staff :smileyhappy:

Given that AppWorld is the only store for selling software for BB10 and Playbook, I don't think you have any choice (unless of course you are Netflix or Instagram ).

Please use plain text.
Developer
Developer
mb1

@JSanders, IMHO, Mikafi should not have to post here just to get help on finding status of  why the review status is pending for a month. Even if some BB staff responds to this thread once does not mean that Mikafi's issue will be resolved to completion. It is equally likely that the issue will be dropped after one or so PM exchanges. 

Its not too much to expect a timely response from official app review staff/team.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

, I totally agree with his need and his question, and that responses should be more timely and I don't intend (and won't) make escuses for the lack of attention to his needs.

I totally disagree with his method of asking and the way in which he proceeded to attempt to belittle all others in that post.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Administrator (Retired)
samyotte
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi mikafi,

Appreciate the frustration. We're working to recover/address the current state. using your support forum account details I was unable to locate your vendor account info. Please send me some details on it so I can investigate further.

Thanks
Please use plain text.