Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® World™ Development

New Contributor
jmfranc
My Device: 9650
My Carrier: none

How do I limit who downloads my app?

I have an app for a specific company that wants to use App World but limit who can use the app by using a company supplied key that will just get emailed to the people allowed to use the app.

I was going to try to make it free with a "Single" license but it won't allow it. And the company doesn't want the users installing the Blackberry Desktop software where they could just load it themselves (my initial suggested route)

So how do I keep rival companies from accessing this app? Thanks a ton!!!

Please use plain text.
Developer
ignites
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: How do I limit who downloads my app?

You cant... If it is a BBOS app (not PB) you can send publish the OTA files on the web and get them to install via that link.

If you want to do appworld.. I would suggest posting it for the highest price ($499) and whenever someone wants to dl the app you can add their BBID to sandbox account.

You can also post the app in draft mode (using sandbox accounts)

But generally it cant be public and not public at the same time.

Developer for easyDial for BlackBerry Bold & inLink for BlackBerry PlayBook
Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!
Please use plain text.
Developer
adwiv
My Device: Not Specified

jmfranc wrote:

So how do I keep rival companies from accessing this app? Thanks a ton!!!

Use dynamic licening and ask he user to enter the license key on the first screen.

BTW, can't a rival company purchase and then access this app if really wants to?

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jmfranc
My Device: 9650
My Carrier: none

My idea was to give the employees of the company a key to access the app. I wanted it to be easily downloaded (why I was going to go with App World) but there seems to be no "limited access" option. Then I was thinking of building it into the app but the end user would have to enter a password everytime they launched it.

I am now looking at  using the Phonegap Build route and only giving access to a single user - that way anyone at the company can log in and download. We're still testing to see if this would work.

I really wanted to have everyone install the Blackberry Desktop app and just install it themselves but there was some kind of company policy not allowing it.

Please use plain text.
Developer
jtegen
My Device: HTC One, PlayBook, LE Z10, DE Q10
My Carrier: Verizon

If you did the password approach, once approved, you could store it in the app data space so they do not have to re-enter each time. Maybe call it a "registration key" and not a "password". I would make it very clear in your app description so people do not download it thinking otherwise.
Please use plain text.
Developer
ignites
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

I believe the best route then is an intranet OTA install link

Developer for easyDial for BlackBerry Bold & inLink for BlackBerry PlayBook
Find me online via twitter, or on the techfruits.com webpage. Please hit the like button below if what I said helped!
Please use plain text.